Front Locker: Detroit E-Z vs Aussie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Locker: Detroit E-Z vs Aussie

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Front Locker: Detroit E-Z vs Aussie

I'm almost ready to place an order for a D30 Aussie Locker http://www.aussielocker.com/ for my 93 I6, based on good experiences by several forum members.

Before I do so - anybody got any comments for the Detroit E-Z Locker on a front axle http://www.tractech.com/ ?

Prices are comparable, with the Aussie costing US$30 less.

[COLOR=white]White Jeep [/COLOR] Club Member 33
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by prossett
I'm almost ready to place an order for a D30 Aussie Locker http://www.aussielocker.com/ for my 93 I6, based on good experiences by several forum members.

Before I do so - anybody got any comments for the Detroit E-Z Locker on a front axle http://www.tractech.com/ ?

Prices are comparable, with the Aussie costing US$30 less.

If you go with the EZ locker you are paying 30$ more for a product that is inferior. The aussie has better metals, better design, and is widely proven to be damn near indestructible. Don't read all these great things about aussie on the board from me and others (EVERYONE who has ever bought one) and then buy an EZ which is just a ripoff (in almost all aspects) of the lockrite (and No the aussie is not just another clone, it is widely changed it just appears like the same style, if it was a clone you would hear all the complaints of bad noises, busted pins, etc, which you don't hehe).

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
If you go with the EZ locker you are paying 30$ more for a product that is inferior. The aussie has better metals, better design, and is widely proven to be damn near indestructible. Don't read all these great things about aussie on the board from me and others (EVERYONE who has ever bought one) and then buy an EZ which is just a (in almost all aspects) of the lockrite (and No the aussie is not just another clone, it is widely changed it just appears like the same style, if it was a clone you would hear all the complaints of bad noises, busted pins, etc, which you don't hehe).

What?!

I don't know anything about Aussie Lockers. I only know one guy who has it and although it works fine, he says it is noisy around corners (click...click...click...click).

I have an EZ and I have three friends who do as well. It has always worked great. From me and them. It makes no noise. Aussies are newer and therefore less proven. EZ lockers are from the same company that makes the Detroit, which I have on the rear. I would go with the proven product--the EZ. The Aussie may be fine, but I know the EZ works great. But I would only put this type of locker on the front, not the rear.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

as for aussie noise? hold a ratchet at arms length and listen to it click. the aussie is about half that loud. love my aussie!
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr
as for aussie noise? hold a ratchet at arms length and listen to it click. the aussie is about half that loud. love my aussie!

<Bing> That's it exactly. No one has yet to even hear my aussie click, in the front axle it won't click anyways unless in 4wd and even when in 4wd you won't hear it unless you wind down the window and listen for it. Compared to the EZ locker (other than the lawsuits ) it's a smooth cambered dog tooth design, made to lock, but smoothly ratchet when cornerning and locked in. I have driven quik-loks, ez-locks, and lockrites and the aussie has been BY FAR the best out of all of them. (to paultyler) What kind of axle is he running it in? Because in a rear wheel axle it will perform the same if not better than a lockrite, in a front axle it's totally invisble and silent. Oh and BTW about it being "new", it's not "new", it's been out for years now and only 1 had EVER come back for problems within warranty and it was due to an error in the INSTALL PHASE (IE not the lockers fault) but the company STILL REPLACED IT free of charge Your statement about "I don't know anything about Aussie Lockers." is very evident by your reply They are still the only locker (lunchbox style) on the market that boasts a NO TIRE SIZE LIMIT warranty. If you want to run an aussie on 48" swampers they don't mind, IF you manage to break it they will still replace it. Say the same for the other lunchers out there (btw I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, don't take my response as a flame, just stating facts )

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

Last edited by CanukYJ; 03-10-2005 at 09:15 PM..
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i vote for lock-right or aussie.
i have seen the detroits fail waaay too much, and never a lock-right.
in fact, i am running a lockright in my jeep right now, and have slammed it through some really heavy trails. it is also turning 35" tires

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
94YJ_FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
i vote for lock-right or aussie.
i have seen the detroits fail waaay too much, and never a lock-right.
in fact, i am running a lockright in my jeep right now, and have slammed it through some really heavy trails. it is also turning 35" tires
+1

I personally run the Aussie with TJ shafts and *never* hear mine... ever. A ton of people in my club run the lock-right without any problem; I do tend to hear a little more ratcheting from them though, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

Unread 03-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YJ_FL
+1

I personally run the Aussie with TJ shafts and *never* hear mine... ever. A ton of people in my club run the lock-right without any problem; I do tend to hear a little more ratcheting from them though, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

I'm assuming you're not running lock-out hubs in the front... how does it drive on the street with that Aussie in the front always spinning? In 2WD, how does it compare to an open diff?

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
I'm assuming you're not running lock-out hubs in the front... how does it drive on the street with that Aussie in the front always spinning? In 2WD, how does it compare to an open diff?
in 2wd it is the same as before i put in my aussie. i ahd a shop put mine in and he called me to inform me as he went that the 4 bolts on the act. busted and he was rethreading i asked him what he thought about the locker and he said (steve looks like it will be noisey" when i went to pick it up he smiled and said"that thing is sweet very quiet even locked and turning on dry pavement" he was impressed. and by the way it makes the same noise as before i put it in. aussie is sweet. i flamed the lockrite in another post, i was mistaken i meant to flame ez locker , oops
4.o with pace setter air ind.
aussie locker.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
94YJ_FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
I did my install myself and can honestly say that I don't notice a bit of difference between:

1. YJ shafts (vacuum) -vs- TJ shafts (no lock out hubs)
  2. Open -vs- Aussie Locked

I literally can not tell that there is a locker up front at all... except for when it is engaged offroad. I can't say enough nice things about my experience with Aussie.

Having said that, I do notice a *slight* ratcheting noise on a TJ we installed one in. You almost have to listen for it though... very quiet.

Now for the lock-right... I have seen one with a problem. We took it apart the other day and the cross shaft was grooved in a couple of places. I don't think he had a hardened shaft when the place installed it for him, and that contributed to the problem. It want'ed to bind up on hard turns for some reason. We took it apart, replaced the springs, cross shaft and cleaned/regreased everything and it still has a slight problem. Out of the many I have seen, this is the first one I have seen with a problem, and I am still not sold on the fact that it was a problem caused by the actual locker. I still think they are a fine choice, with Aussie being my preference. HTH.
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

on the street with an aussie in a yj d30? no difference except for now your front driveline is always turning. must keep front driveline in good shape. i got a new driveline from tom wood,s this week------------ smooooooth!!!!
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.