Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front leaf springs same as Rear leaf springs?

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeepfreak81 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have several questions....but I'll start with this one.

Are the front springs interchangeable with the rear springs on an '89 YJ? My rears are sagging a little, and I can get my hands on a practically new set of fronts. I would like to install these out back if possible.

Any thoughts on this? This would only be until I can afford a full suspension lift(sometime next year) with new replacement springs all around.

#4 ·
YJWOLF said:
Like blake said. They will be fine. I run rear stock springs on all 4 corners. The front springs have a lower spring rate, but you should be fine until you get your suspension.
I run rear springs all around too, it evens out the ride and suspension, most YJ's have a slight forward tilt with the 4 leaf spring packs in the front and the 5 leaf packs in the rear.

#5 ·
Well, it appears that I am running rear springs all around, but the fronts were most likely replaced not too long ago. One of the previous owners had a plow mounted at one time and they probably added the thicker leaf packs to make up for the sag.

With the plow removed, the front sits higher than the rear now :(

I looked at the springs my dad had sitting around(removed from a fairly new Wrangler back in the early '90s). They are also a 5-leaf pack, so I'm good to go for now.

Thanks for the help, guys!

#6 ·
your springs depend on if you had a hard top equipt jeep or not... the springs are however all interchangeable. My BDS kit came with the same springs for all 4 corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.