Front end wobble - JeepForum.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
Front end wobble

I am trying to chase down a wobble on my front end. I replaced my engine mounts and trans mounts and started to get death wobble these are the things I have done so far: alignment checked(they said it was spot on), road force tire balance(33x12.50x15 MTR with Kevlar), I have checked and rechecked torque on the lugs, jacked up front and checked wheel bearings and tie rod ends had someone steer left and right looking for loose steering parts, checked all suspension parts for loose bolts, rotated tires replaced bushings in track bar( I still need it cause I have a coil spring lift). I have had the lift on for about 5 years now and didn't start getting the wobble till after I replaced the engine and trans mounts (guessing all the vibes were going down my drivetrain) cause they were both in terrible shape. I also upgraded to a heavy duty steering and tie rod setup with the lift. No parts are loose or seem bent/damaged in any way. Where do I go from here I only get the wobble hitting a pothole on my driver side and my front end feels like it hops when I drive over 55 on a smooth road. I don't really want to take it anywhere but I don't know what else to check.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

What sort of coil system are you running? Maybe post some pics. Control arm bushings (assuming you have them) would be the next logical place to start looking for wear/damage.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
I am running the procomp coil spring conversion I did check the bushings and made sure the bolts were all tight

post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I bet its your trac bar. Triple check that. Unbolt it and make sure the holes aren't egged out.
-OIIIIIIIO-01 likes this.

YJ 350TPI NV4500 HPD60 14BFF ARB Chromo's
March 2017 YJOTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
I pulled the track bar and replaced the bushings and checked the holes they were not ovals like I thought they would be. I seems really weird that it only happens when I hit a pothole on the driver side for the major wobbling or starts above 55 mph. I will pull it again and check it was pretty easy.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 AM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd same issue only at about 60mph and above.

But my rod ends are trashed.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check your ball joints and unit bearings? I'm thinking unit bearing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Did you check your ball joints and unit bearings? I'm thinking unit bearing...
I did check those also but I am really leaning towards that bearing there is no movement when I try and move anything when it's jacked up but like I said it's only the one side and it does it no matter what wheel I put up there I think I'll just replace the ball joints and bearing and see how that changes everything perhaps it's just starting to go out thank you randon
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
Any particular brand of bearing to get(or not to get) I was also gonna throw in new ball joints since I'll be in there
post #10 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

Check the bearings and ball joints before you just go blindly throwing parts at it. Jack up each corner by the axle tube til the tire is slightly off the ground. Jam a pry bar between the tire and the ground and pry up and down while observing the ball joints, looking for movement. Jack up the corner further, and grab the tire at 12 and 6, and attempt to move it. Any movement here is bearings. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 and attempt to move it, while observing the tie rod ends and drag link for movement. Post up results.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What provisions did you make for Caster when installing the coils? Has it been professionally aligned? Any "stretch" to the front LCAs and UCS?

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 33" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #12 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
What provisions did you make for Caster when installing the coils? Has it been professionally aligned? Any "stretch" to the front LCAs and UCS?
The kit was installed by 4 wheel parts and it was aligned after the lift when I took it in for a new balance and rotation I asked for an alignment and they said it didn't need to be done.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
I jacked it up and used a pry bar I have movement at 12 and 6
post #14 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrjrx View Post
I jacked it up and used a pry bar I have a little bit of movement up and down I can see the rotor moving a little bit everything else is solid and doesn't move
I know this is the YJ forum, but I used this thread on DW to solve the issues on 2 XJs. It goes through it all for TJs and should help you know where and what to look at when you are prying up on the tires (hint the ball joins on the C)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...rsion-2359089/
project_mercy likes this.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 33" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #15 of 16 Old 06-24-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
xjrjrx

Garage
So had a little movement on the driver side tire at 12-6 and went for a drive and the driver side tire appears to wobble ever so slightly as if it has loose lug nuts around 25-35 mph the passenger side doesn't at all I checked all the lugs and steering knuckle bolts and everything is tight tight so bearing then??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.