Front end vibrations when turning at slow speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front end vibrations when turning at slow speeds

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Front end vibrations when turning at slow speeds

Hey guys, my newest problem surfaced in the form of a popping sound that vibrates the front end when either backing out of a parking spot or turning while accelerating at low speeds. The problem is evident when turning either left or right and especially in reverse.

so here's what I've ruled out:
jacked up the front end and turned both wheels by hand at full lock; no resistance, u-joints appear OK.

grabbed the rear drive shaft and tried to shake it; no play whatsoever.
I will comment that those rear joints are not in the best shape but there's still no play in the shaft.

removed front drive shaft; problem still persists.

While this problem does disappear when driving in a straight line or at high speeds, I still don't feel comfortable driving it as failure of some component seems imminent.

Anything I missed? suggestions?

Unread 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a limited slip rear diff? Or any kind of a locker?
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd pull the diff covers and inspect the spider gears.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I'd pull the diff covers and inspect the spider gears.
Ya i'm afraid it might be the 35 biting me in the butt. its definitely worse when throttle is applied while turning. the only thing is that it feels and sounds like its coming from the front end. both axles are open and the front is disengaged by vacuum. I'll check the rear tomorrow and let you guys know if i find anything. also open to more suggestions while i'm diggin around tomorrow.
Unread 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Any rust stains on any of the ends of the axle u-joints? That can mean it is starting to eat the needle bearings. I had a wobble when turning and it turned out to be a ball joint going bad. Those are hard to spot.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.