Front end issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front end issues

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Front end issues

I have a 91 YJ with a 4.0, boomerang shackles, 4" lift, and 2" body lift. These have all been on for a little over a year. recently i have developed a clunking sound in the front end when i turn the wheel almost like one of the steering componants is hitting or binding on another. Also my Steering is a bit squirly. I have replaced just about everything on the front end. New draglink, tierod ends, wheel bearings, bushings, steering stabalizer, even the steering shaft and the steering column bearing. I have gotten under the jeep and looked for the issue as well as had others look while turning the wheel no one can see where the noise is comming from. The only thing left to change is the gear box. This is an expencive part and dont want to swap it out if it couldnt be the issue. So my question is will the gearbox make a clunking sound as described above if it is going bad?
Please advise

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Based on the mechanics of the steering gear, I certainly suppose the gear could make a clunk. You didn't mention if you checked the ball joints or not. I had my draglink to pitman arm connection come loose, the taper wasn't fully seated and it would clunk when I turned. With the jeep off, and the key in and ignition unlocked, have someone gently rock the steering wheel back and forth while you put a hand on each TRE. I could feel the clunk when I put my hand on the pitman arm, cranked down the nut and it was good to go.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The ball joints have also been replaced. Upon inspection everything seems tight. Are there torque specs on the tie rod ends and the pitman arm?
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you still have the track bar, it could be that too... I've had them clunk when turning when the ends were going bad.
removing the bar solved the problem in my YJ, and replacing the bar solved the problem on my old XJ
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The last klunk I had was from a worn axle shaft uni joint... A klank, now that's a who different story...
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
The last klunk I had was from a worn axle shaft uni joint... A klank, now that's a who different story...
as long as it's not a Klink
colonel_klink.jpg

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's definitely a klunk. Not a klank or a clink
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
alc60560
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check the bearing at the end of the steering shaft near the fire wall
alc60560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
as long as it's not a Klink
Attachment 673553

Hogan!!!!!

I couldn't tell because I heard nothing
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have tried everything. The only thing on the front end that hasn't been replace are the track bar bushings, but the track bar is not loose. Other than that the steering gear box has not been replaced. Like I said Everything else has been replaced wheel bearings, bushings, ball joints, right down to the intermediate steering shaft.
I am at a loss. I really don't want to spend the money on a new gearbox if there is not a possibility that could be the culprit.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take your trac bar off and see if the noise goes away.
The rear trac bar is notorous for coming loose too.
You could tell if it was the gear box by putting a screw driver up against it, put the handle to your ear and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth.
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check the bearing at the end of the steering shaft near the fire wall
This has been replaced as well. there is still a little play in it, I can wiggle it around slightly, How much play should there be here?
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I, and a few others, have mentioned your track bar(s), but you only stated "it's not loose"... is that going by grabbing it and trying to shake it? because even if it's loose, it might still FEEL tight trying to wiggle it.

we're suggesting you REMOVE the track bar (even if you hate it, just try it temporarily) and see if the noise goes away. if the noise is still there, then disconnect the sway bar (you don't have to remove it, just tie it up out of the way after it's disconnected.... in addition to possible track bar bushings like I mentioned, it COULD also be part of the sway bar (end links, bushings, etc) making the noise.
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get a pitman arm sized to compensate for the lift? Did you get relocators for the track bars to compensate for the lift there? - If not I'd bet the stresses from having screwed up geometry in them would wear things out (as if the stresses of a track bar on leaf springs aren't bad enough). As far as I know the joints in the steering shaft should be tight, no slop.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.