Front Drivetrain Vibes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Drivetrain Vibes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
bassnmick
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Front Drivetrain Vibes

Ive developed some vibrations that feel like driveline vibes when Im in 4wd. Thinkin back I think it probably started when I swapped my RC springs to BDS. I took the front shaft do the local driveline shop and had them rebuild and balance it. That seemed to help quite a bit but there are still some vibrations happenin. Funny thing is, they only happen when I engage the passenger side shaft. (I have a posi-lock) If I run with the xfer case in 4 high and the posi lock in 2wd there are no vibes. If I run with the case in 2wd and the posi lock engaged the vibes are there. I recently had the front axle rebuilt when I had an ARB installed, but the vibes were there before that work was done so I dont suspect an issue induced by the rebuild. Seems to me that in either situation (xfer case in 4 with posi lock disengaged or xfer case in 2 with posi lock engaged) the driveshaft would be spinning. Am I thinkin about that correctly? Any other thoughts as to where these vibes may be coming from?

bassnmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check your axle u-joints.. especially the passenger side.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark05059 View Post
check your axle u-joints.. Especially the passenger side.
this
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
bassnmick
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heheh... I completely disregarded the axle u-joints but probably shouldnt. The previous owner was supposed to have changed both because I noticed the driver side was bad when I first looked at the jeep. Never did make sure he changed the passenger side, just assumed he had. Thanks for the reply, Ill check it out this week.
bassnmick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.