Front driveshaft u-joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front driveshaft u-joints

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Beerlover
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Front driveshaft u-joints

I'm in the process of replacing front DS u-joints. After I get the caps seated in the yoke far enough to get the retaining clips in, it seems like they are sort of tight and bound up feeling. They don't turn really smoothly. Will this loosen up with use after it's reinstalled? When I put the caps on to test fit before putting everything back into the yoke, it's nice and free and smooth. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've replaced axle u-joints before and didn't notice the tight feeling.

Unread 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are they greased up and the correct size?

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Beerlover
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, correct size and fresh grease. It seems like the caps have to press down on the end of the ujoint ears a little in order to make room to get the clip into the slot. if there was a way to tap the cap back out from the inside, it seems like it would be perfect. I guess I'll just put it all back in and see what happens.
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't run them if they are tight. They will over heat and self destruct. With the DS yoke on a hard surface like a vice, anvil, even a brick, strike the DS ears with a hammer. Spin it 180*, and strike the other side. Don't use a sledge, just a regular hammer with a sharp blow.

Besure you do not hit the u joint, or have the joint in contact with any thing. Try turning the joint after each hit and you will feel everything loosen up. Repeat until it is smooth, using lighter taps of the hammer as it loosens up.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Beerlover
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks - that sounds like good advice and I'll give it a try.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.