Front driveshaft slip yoke and T-case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front driveshaft slip yoke and T-case

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Front driveshaft slip yoke and T-case

I have an 1987 4.2L 5 speed with a NV3550 conversion w/207 T-case. My 4wd drive stopped working last winter and I'm not sure what the cause is. I made sure all the vacuum lines are good and the T-case shifts. This looks all good but when I shift to 4wd the Jeep only moves a few of feet then the Jeep just stops and just won't go. It's like it's stuck. It's great when I'm stuck in deep snow, but it would be even better if I can just drive it in 4WD. I checked the front drive shaft and noticed that there is a little space between the driveshaft and the t-case. I can slide it in and out of the T-case. Is this normal? I recorded it here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OWwVTKOGPf8

Thanks for any help on this.

RCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It works fine in 2 hi but not in 4 hi or 4 low? There definitely shouldn't be play like that in the front yoke. I'd try to find a 231 and get rid of the 207.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

pull the shaft off and tighten the nut down, TIGHT. that wont fix your issue though. even the rear wheels stop turning in 4wd or just front?
Unread 11-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can I pull the front shaft off and shift it into 4wd and see if the Jeep moves or will it cause more damage to the drivetrain because of lost gear oil.
Unread 11-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

you can pull the front shaft without losing any oil and put into 4WD with no harm done. just leave the yokes on. tighten the yoke nut on front yoke to remove the play. its a very large nut I forget size maybe 1 1/8"
The real issue here is if you stop moving at all in 4wd. the rear should still turn even if the front quits. (think vacuum actuator) If neither driveshaft is turning then you may have an issue on the mode hub shifter in the transfer case. I agree with randon, try to find a np231 to toss in there they are a dime a dozen, can find in xj and yj, junkyard or craigslist. also make sure your linkage is adjusted correctly so you arent between gears on the TC.
Unread 11-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
you can pull the front shaft without losing any oil and put into 4WD with no harm done. just leave the yokes on. tighten the yoke nut on front yoke to remove the play. its a very large nut I forget size maybe 1 1/8"
The real issue here is if you stop moving at all in 4wd. the rear should still turn even if the front quits. (think vacuum actuator) If neither driveshaft is turning then you may have an issue on the mode hub shifter in the transfer case. I agree with randon, try to find a np231 to toss in there they are a dime a dozen, can find in xj and yj, junkyard or craigslist. also make sure your linkage is adjusted correctly so you arent between gears on the TC.
Thanks for this info. I will definitely try this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.