front drive shaft vibes after balancing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front drive shaft vibes after balancing

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #16
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak70 View Post
Mighty4banger....you r the man! If I am ever near morrow ohio I will buy u a cold half dozen of your favorite mixture of barley and hops. The vibration is still there at 65 and 70 but it is considerably less noticable. I can drive it like this and still have 4wheel drive. This will give me some time to decide before i drop the coin on the new ds. Thanks again for all the replies. Happy Jeepin!
glad 2 help ya... nothing like a free fix!

I don't daily drive my jeep so the flip was a better option than dropping the coin...

95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright alright...200 dollars later...nice 3"dia. brand new shiny balanced ds and it vibes just like the unbalanced one. Granted it is not a TW ds but... I removed this new shaft and drove around in 4hi just to see if mmaybe the tcase had something to do with it. With shaft out no vibes in 4hi. Could the piniongear be loose enough to vibrate at speed and not leak or make noise at low speed? I dont know what to do other than have the front end pulled apart and see if something looks wrong?
kojak70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak70 View Post
Alright alright...200 dollars later...nice 3"dia. brand new shiny balanced ds and it vibes just like the unbalanced one. Granted it is not a TW ds but... I removed this new shaft and drove around in 4hi just to see if mmaybe the tcase had something to do with it. With shaft out no vibes in 4hi. Could the piniongear be loose enough to vibrate at speed and not leak or make noise at low speed? I dont know what to do other than have the front end pulled apart and see if something looks wrong?
That sucks. Have you tried grabbing the yokes on the axle and t-case and trying to move them? Did you try swapping the driveshaft around so the slip joint is at the t-case and vice versa?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes the yokes feel very tight. I did flip the ds around and it helped but the vibe is still present. Maybe the front yoke (which is brand new) is out of center just enough to cause the vibe at hwy speed? I think i may swap yokes and see before i tear into the diff. I will let yall know what happens
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
Are your u-joint angles on the front shaft the same front and rear? If they are different from your lift, (I don't hnow what you have for a lift) you could be getting a vibration that you wouldn't have felt before because of having the CAD.
I think that this is the key to the problem. When you changed your axle configuration, you've made it so that your drive shaft turns even with 4wd deselected at the transfer case, so if the jeep has been lifted and the front and rear joint angles are different, you'll get a vibration as the drive shaft rotates - EVEN IF the shaft is perfectly balanced. The vibration is a result of how single cardan joints operate.

For a front axle that has different joint angles, the only real solution is to put a double cardan at each end and then balance the shaft. I use the spicer double cardan joints from an XJ front shaft to make YJ front shafts, they're cheap & they work well in this application. This twin double cardan joint configuration leaves you the capability to set your caster without worrying about joint angles.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you have your driveshaft balanced are they balancing it with the yoke still attached? Buddy of mine couldn't get rid of his vibes until he got his driveshaft balanced with the yoke on it.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I must agree with Abraham...Lincoln that is...."The problem with internet quotes is the verification of validity"... or something to that affect. The ds was not balanced with the yoke attached. I am starting to regret selectable hubs vs. selectable lockers inn yjs. I must remember ancient chinese secret..."Patiance Grasshopper...Rome was not built in a day"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.