front drive shaft vibes after balancing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front drive shaft vibes after balancing

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

front drive shaft vibes after balancing

I have recently had my d30 regeared to 4.88, 1pc. tj shaft, chromemoly and spartan zip locker. Everything works awesome offroad. I love not worrying about the cad working correctly. This is my dd and at highway speeds (55-75) i have an annoying pulsating vibe from front( i think). It continues if i coast without power. I had my front ds balanced and it continues to do the same thing. If i remove the front ds everything is peachy. no vibes. it has no play in slip yoke, new joints, yokes on axel and tcase are new and torqued to spec. I also replaced motormounts and right side unit bearing. trans mount looks good and is new. I have read that the diameter of ds is a problem after certain rpm ranges ( over 2000 ). Now for my question..... will a 300 dollar new 2" ds solve my vibes, iyho, or did i waste my money on a selectable front locker and am going to have to install lockout hubs to solve this? I appreciate in advance all your advice. p.s I am running 35" tires

kojak70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also have this pulsating vibe. would like to know the solution.
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would contact the company that balanced the drive shaft and voice your concerns. Let them know the problem goes away when you remove the shaft and ask them to check the shaft again.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are your u-joint angles on the front shaft the same front and rear? If they are different from your lift, (I don't hnow what you have for a lift) you could be getting a vibration that you wouldn't have felt before because of having the CAD.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Try flipping the front drive shaft around. (Put the slip yoke closer to the transfer case.)

It helped mine. 4.88's, Aussie and solid front shaft here as well.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" rc with 1" booms and a 2" body lift. The pinion angle looks flat and staight. My sons 94 jeep has the 2" diameter front ds. My ds is the smaller 1" diameter. I was going to use his ds and see if it helped but the slip yoke is well worn so i didnt think it would help. I do not see any weights on my ds. The shop did replace the splines because mine were sloppy. I did not deal directly with the balancer so who knows. (friend of a cousins friend) I am going to go and flip ends and see if that helps. thanks for all the replies. Happy Jeeping
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same issue as you. However when I had my front driveshaft balanced it took most of the vibes out. Well after a while they came back and it's due to the slop in the slip yoke. Mine has a little lateral movement at the slip joint. My plan is to buy a brand new Tom Woods as a stock replacement but it will have longer splines and a thicker tube. I asked the question a while back about this same thing and one reply was from someone who bought a replacement TW and no vibes.

That's what I plan to do at least.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
tevans59

1979 CJ7 

Back in the 80's I had a cj that a broke bell housing, well after replacement my jeep would vibrate like crazy about 35 mph, so took it back down and recheck it all even the little copper bushing in the crank, well that did not work........ well the problem was the drive shaft yolks were not line up when we put it back together, some how the shaft came apart during the first drop of everything.
tevans59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had this same problem. Turned out my slip joint was just used up, to much slop. Bought a new heavy duty TW drive shaft and never looked back.

Edit: Slip joint....not yoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I had this same problem. Turned out my slip yoke was just used up, to much slop. Bought a new heavy duty TW drive shaft and never looked back.
I believe this is the fellow who told me about his TW front driveshaft.

I plan on keeping my stock driveshaft as a trail spare.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ditto on the Tom Woods shaft. I had to go with the longer spline version. With a 1 piece passenger axle shaft and a lock-right I have no vibration issues.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

FYI - My slip joint is sloppy and the flip has helped...
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mighty4banger....you r the man! If I am ever near morrow ohio I will buy u a cold half dozen of your favorite mixture of barley and hops. The vibration is still there at 65 and 70 but it is considerably less noticable. I can drive it like this and still have 4wheel drive. This will give me some time to decide before i drop the coin on the new ds. Thanks again for all the replies. Happy Jeepin!
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak70 View Post
This will give me some time to decide before i drop the coin on the new ds.:
When your ready give Tom Woods a call. I know you always hear people talking him up like were pimping him or something, but he really does a great job. Customer service is second to none. My heavy duty front shaft was just under 200. They arent that bad without the double cardan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
When your ready give Tom Woods a call. I know you always hear people talking him up like were pimping him or something, but he really does a great job. Customer service is second to none. My heavy duty front shaft was just under 200. They arent that bad without the double cardan.
Agreed. I have owned 3 TW driveshafts on various rigs over the years and none of them have disappointed.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.