front drive shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front drive shaft

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
anderson sc

front drive shaft

looking for a front drive shaft on my 89. 4cly, 5 speed. bought one on ebay but was to long. looking for used one. Thanks.

anderson sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
OneLung
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Won't the ebay seller let you return it? If not, pm me with the sellers user name and I'll look into it for you.
Unread 12-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Shortening one is easy to do yourself. I have done a few and was surprised at how easy they are to shorten/lengthen.

A scratch owl
Chopsaw
Grinder
Welder (hood & gloves come in handy too )
Piece of angle iron
C-clamp

There are several ways to skin this cat (shortening a driveshaft). Here's one simple way although there are better methods.

Mark it so you can reweld it in-phase:

Chop it:

Shorten it:

Clean it up & prep the tube for welding. I like using a piece of angle iron & a c-clamp to hold things in place while welding.

Spot weld it in 3-4 places. You'll need to rotate the tube after the first couple spot welds:

Weld it up:

Install it. Simple as pie.

Disclaimer/side note: If your driveshaft spins all the time (mine doesn't due to ARB, Atlas & manual hubs) you'll probably want to have it balanced. I never did & it works perfectly. I've done a few of these. Each a little differently. EG: Welding the shortend/lengthened tube to the shaft spline piece instead of tube-tube butt welding. It has withstood a few trips to Johnson Valley/Hammers, so I'm confident it's fine.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What length to you need? You can have mine for $50 plus shipping (and I get a great discount with FedEx through my work). I ended up needing a longer front DS due to lifting. My old one has newer u-joints (probably 10k miles on them). Check your length and let me know if you're interested.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

yea find a buddy with a welder and some basic tools. i sleeve all the shafts i make but i know of plenty of people who do just as joe showed you and have zero problems...
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

search for it at junkyarddog.com, they usually turn up a lot of results.
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i've always seen driveshafts made by grinding off the welds on the yoke side, hammering the yoke off after getting down far enough, then chopping it, making sure it's straight, then spinning it on roller bearings to make sure everything spins true... tack it 180 apart, spin it again to see if it's straight. then tack it more. spin it... then just spin it while holding the welder steady all the way across. never seen one break and comes out alot cleaner looking too, looks factory.
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

my home made shaft looks oem

the cv half is from an XJ front, the splines and yoke on the other end were left over from a front TJ shaft.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is a nicely done shaft there, it actually looks better than you would expect from the OEM
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.