Front differential vent - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front differential vent

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayden View Post
Yes a hose clamp would work if I could get the little plastic piece attached to the hose to stay in the hole on the differential. Putting a hose clamp on the hose would just keep the little plastic piece in the hose, it would not keep in thing in the hole on the diff. Sounds a little complicated of what I am saying, maybe I could attach a pic. Would that help?
Is it broken? ie the plastic tube broke off in the housing... a pic of the housing and the end of the tube might help...

BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
shayden
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a good idea. Maybe ill look into that. Tomorrow i will post a pic to show my current situation with this. Thanks guys!
shayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
When I had my axle in the shop for the locker installation I had the guy tap the vent hole and screwed in a barb fitting; no more loose hoses.
This.

I use the 1/8" & 1/4" NPT brass barb fittings in my shop all the time. I've put them in axles, transfer cases, & transmissions for venting purposes.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
shayden
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here is a photo of the vent hose that goes into the differential. It will go into the hole just fine but it keeps popping out. Does not appear to be broken or anything and everything in the hole looks just fine. Is this plastic piece just worn out, maybe if I replace it, it will stay? I am thinking about just putting some JB Weld on it to keep it in there. Any ideas?
hose.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
This.

I use the 1/8" & 1/4" NPT brass barb fittings in my shop all the time. I've put them in axles, transfer cases, & transmissions for venting purposes.

Max
What Max said...

Yeah probably just worn... Do it right, or don't do it at all. Don't JB it..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
shayden
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i want to do it right for sure, even if that is replacing the little plastic piece until i can get that hole tapped. Anyone know what that little piece is called? I am on rockauto and cant find any reference to it
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayden View Post
Yeah i want to do it right for sure, even if that is replacing the little plastic piece until i can get that hole tapped. Anyone know what that little piece is called? I am on rockauto and cant find any reference to it
I doubt you'll find it anywhere except the dealer.

If it's not physically broken, use a small amount of Ultra Black RTV sealer to hold it in. The Ultra Black RTV holds better than regular RTV in an oily environment.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
shayden
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great, will do thank you!!
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I had my axle in the shop for the locker installation I had the guy tap the vent hole and screwed in a barb fitting; no more loose hoses.
I would think that jbolty has the best idea. Pull the cover and drill and tap. No more problems.

I would think it will be a easy upgrade.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post

I would think that jbolty has the best idea. Pull the cover and drill and tap. No more problems.

I would think it will be a easy upgrade.
I agree wholeheartedly.

My suggestion should have stated that it's a temporary fix, and included the advice of tapping the hole on the next service interval.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem with my rear dana 44, I just pulled the old plastic one out and taped it with a 1/8 tap like stated above. Then I screwed in a 1/4 barbed fitting left over from running the hoses for my oba setup.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
shayden
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, sounds like that is the best way to go, which I am going to do. Appreciate everyones help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.