Front clip removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front clip removal

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Front clip removal

I want to know how hard is it to remove the front clip on a YJ?
I did a look see on my Jeep and looks like a few bolts to the grill to fender area, pull radiator out and a mount in the center of the grill.

Not sure how many body to fender bolts there are.

I have seen a few pictures in my search for how to remove the clip of Jeeps without the clip on them but no good details on how to remove it. How many bolts/locations etc. I know get the PB out.

I am going to take mine off for painting and prep work etc. Or would I be better off painting it on the Jeep? Figured since I had all this time with the engine overheating issue I would prep/paint it in sections over the next few weeks/months.

Also think it might be easier to paint the grill if itís off the Jeep. I donít want to paint the radiator green

I am going with flat olive green so I think painting it in section wonít cause a problem with it matching. I am going use the Rustoleum primer and paint from depot. I wish I could find it in a quart can but cannot. So I got like 6 spray cans of the stuff and will just do one section at a time.

How many coats does it usually take? How many cans on average etc?
Thoughts on this?

I have read lots of the posts on the painting of the Jeep this way and other cars so it looks like itís the most bang for the $$ as they say.

I donít have tractor supply near me or I might consider their paint.

I painted one of the old 1/2 doors and did not wet sand between coats just to see how it would look. I liked it so now on to the full jeep. I'll post pictures of the door in the next day or so.

What the heck if I donít like it I can always repaint right

I am using the darker green not the bright green in middle. Its just to bright for my tastes. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to accent it (hinges clips etc) with the brown in some way. The jeep will have black flairs on it too when done.

I donít think I am going to do a military pattern on it just a one color job.

Last edited by jeepwrnglr92; 11-20-2007 at 07:16 AM..
jeepwrnglr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

No info on tis topic from anyone
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It sounds like you have it about down. The fender bolts on the firewall are gonna be the hardest. The lower one mostly. Just take your time.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
set4lifenj

Removing the front clip is pretty self explanatory. Open the hood and look around at what needs to be removed or disconnected in order to take the grill and fenders off. If you own a wrench and aren't a blind person you will be ok.

You will know when you have removed all the bolts because the parts will fall off. If they don't just fall off you missed a bolt.
set4lifenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I was also looking for feed back on is it ok to paint the parts in stages an not all at once since its not a metalic paint...

I dont want it to look like it was painted in stages if i can help it at all. but if i can i think it will come out better if i take it all appart.

I've never painted a car before so this is something new to me and dont want to ruin my Jeep. Learning curve is high on this one for sure.
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Should not be a problem as long as the parts are not seeing alot of sun or weather.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

All i could find at homedepot and lowes was 600grist for doing the wet sanding. IS this high enough or do i need to get 1000 grit.

Also how do you know when to stop. Yes I read a bunch of stuff on the paint/body section but i am still unsure on this point. Also how many coats is enough?
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well the problem is the bolts wont let go. man time to gets some easyouts...

Not sure what I am going to use to replace the torx one with. any thoughts?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.