Front caliper bolts striped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front caliper bolts striped

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
My03tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front caliper bolts striped

I really need help bad. I was changing my brakes and the driver caliper bolts are stripped. I tried drilling one of the bolts and the drill bit broke in one of the groves. Can someone help me out in how to either remove the bolts or even the rotor without removing the brakes. Need to get the jeep running by Sunday.

My03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try soaking in pb blaster for a while, heat it up, and potentially use vise grips. try letting the pb soak overnight. Try several cycles of pb and heat.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Based upon what you are saying, the bolt (treads) are not stripped, but the head of the bolt is rounded off..... correct?

If you have a friend with a welder, weld an old nut to the rounded off head, let cool, then use wrench to remove bolt. Your local auto parts house should have a display rack with all kinds of brake hardware. This bolts should be on that rack.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Based upon what you are saying, the bolt (treads) are not stripped, but the head of the bolt is rounded off..... correct?

If you have a friend with a welder, weld an old nut to the rounded off head, let cool, then use wrench to remove bolt. Your local auto parts house should have a display rack with all kinds of brake hardware. This bolts should be on that rack.
I agree, the heat from the welding will usually be enough to break the seized threads and the nut welded to the head will allow you to turn the old bolt. Before you start the welding, disconnect the battery and have the replacement bolts available to replace. For other work on the jeep, use sockets that fit the bolt - don't use adjustables or open end wrenches (these can spread enough to round the head) on bolt heads that haven't been moved for a long time.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's common for people to over tighten these bolts.... there is really no need for them to be upper tight. As long as the bolt doesn't back out completely, the caliper isn't going to come off. The brakes aren't going to fail.... I don't know the correct torque, but you only need the bolts to be tight enough that they won't vibrate lose.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't have a welder, use these, it did the trick for me. The extractors have a spiral grip reverse thread that tightens on the bolt head when you turn counter clockwise. When you go to replace those bolts you will be looking for a M12 1.25 pitch 35mm long, hardened to the metric equivalent of a grade 8 (cant remember what that is called). I couldn't find one so I ended up using a 40mm long bolt with two washers as spacers which I got thru fastenal.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
My03tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Berniebikes I bought those and it worked perfectly. Best 20 dollars ever. Thanks for the help.
My03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Glad it worked for you. Good luck on finding a replacement bolt.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.