Front cage tie in to windshield frame & ease of folding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front cage tie in to windshield frame & ease of folding

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Front cage tie in to windshield frame & ease of folding

Guys, I am looking for ideas on how to design a front cage. This will be a dash mount add on and use the stock front bar stubs. I am looking more for something that will allow me to run the soft top half cab, but allow me to fold the windshield. The cage will allow the front bars to stay in place as I can use the cage to mount the door frames to. However, I really want to quickly drop the glass like I can now. Right now, I run CJ-7 hand knobs and no front bars. I want to tie in the windshield at the top with brackets that may even re-use the original CJ hand knobs. I am thinking that a flat plate (like the windshield plates) mounted to the cage, but sideways, and another plate welded to the moult plate (with stock bar cut off). This could allow me to bolt the two together and maybe use that stock knob.

I have also toyed with maybe some sort of saddle on that plate, and some strong catches to pull it tight.. . I just really don't want to have to unbolt the lower plate with a ratchet every time I drop the glass (which is very often)

Also, any YJ / CJ dash mounted cage photos would be nice!

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Might I suggest checking out the Blue Torch Fab sport cage kit, or at minimum their spreader kit as they are way berried than the stock spreaders. I did this in my YJ and love it. Just attached thumb screws thru the included windshield plates for quick and easynlay down

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i wheel with mine down and often completely removed. mine is not attached to the top of the cage and it is totally fine. if you build a proper front cage there really is no need.
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, but how easy is it for you to unbolt the windshield? Right now, mine is very simple... and I am trying to avoid having to carry tools and working in tight areas to remove the bolts.

I also thought about maybe using a latch like what is used for swing out spare tire racks. There are a lot of design's for those adjustable u-pulls.

O-R Fab makes a dash bracket that looks like it may be the easiest to access the bolts. Their bracket is a bit higher and the windshield bolts are below the tubing. This allows you to get to the bolts without working around the tube on each side.

Although, I found this guy while searching the net... really hard to beat that price for some nice looking brackets.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pts/2547849223.html

I mean, $41 shipped? It's almost free!

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Getdirtyoffroad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a full cage 2. Some cages will move independent of the body so attaching it to the windshield may cause sheer or bolt/ windshield issues down the road. Mine is not attached to windshield and I have no problems. Window is solid and cage is free to vibrate and not cause problems with the mounting screws into windshield frame.
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getdirtyoffroad View Post
I have a full cage 2. Some cages will move independent of the body so attaching it to the windshield may cause sheer or bolt/ windshield issues down the road. Mine is not attached to windshield and I have no problems. Window is solid and cage is free to vibrate and not cause problems with the mounting screws into windshield frame.
any pics of your cage?
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

have you checked out this thread in the fab forum?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/o...thread-128237/

all cage pics all the time! and tons of in depth discussion on design and such
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a million! I did not get that one when I searched!
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
i wheel with mine down and often completely removed. mine is not attached to the top of the cage and it is totally fine. if you build a proper front cage there really is no need.

This.....key being that the A pillars are properly tied in to the frame or at least the body mounts. If you do this, the windshield frame is taken out of the structural loop and a swinging door latch hook could be used to secure the windshield if you really wanted to.

Note, this will NOT be the case just using "sandwich plates" to secure the A pillars to the tub. If your going to do it, tie it in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The thing is that my Jeep is mainly a DD with little wheeling. I know, it's a shame.... but I wheeled for years and it's getting hard here in the NE to wheel anywhere. I just love driving my Jeep with the top off and the wind in my face. I want a little more protection when the windshield is down, and even a dash mount cage will be far better than my Jeep windshield that does not have the front bars attached. I also need a way to keep a front bar so that I can use the half cab upper door mounts. Driving with the front bars on, or the stub mounts looks lame, so the front cage is the way to go. With a normal floor mount cage, you run into issues with the parking brake. Being in Connecticut, and having a stick... this is a bit of a pain, and sure not to pass inspection. Plus, then in the winter you have clearance issues with the full doors.

This is not a rock crawler... While agree, the dash mount cage is no where as good as a properly tied in cage, it's not the main "cage decision" on the table.
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well the dash mounts are better than running just sandwich plates anyway. Hope it works out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.