Front bumper removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front bumper removal

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Gif38

Front bumper removal

Anyone know for sure what size torx I need to remove my front bumper? My new bumpers came today and I plan on installing tomorrow. The only thing I dont have is the correct size torx bit.

Unread 09-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I want to say T-55. I have a set of em, it's the largest one in a stanley set of 3/8" socket torx.
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
lemsip
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes its 55.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
stilltippin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

those bolts are so hard to get off w/ a torx, i just put a vice grip on there
Low Output Member #44
"There's a NEW Mexico?" -Mr Burns
stilltippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Torque Wrench FTW!

Good luck! There's 2 up top and 1 on the bottom. I got mine off with no problems. I installed some nice Grade 8 bolts in place of my Torx bits too.
Unread 09-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
5.0YJ

TORX suck...mine were a pita to remove aswell
5.0YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
TEXASRAM

which torx?

I just removed and replaced mine recently, just use an ALLEN Wrench, they work great. later, Rik
1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

homemade xtras to come.... rear bumper w/ tire carrier, rock sliders.........

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
TEXASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
crosscheck17
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i had to swing out the bumper when i installed my lights. i just used an impact wrench with a torx bit on and it came right off. i believe it is T-55. it's the same as the track-bar bolts, whatever they are.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

"The box said 'Required Windows 95 or better'. So, I installed LINUX."
crosscheck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The tops are not too bad to get at and to, I used a T55 and a 24 inch breaker bar. I also sprayed them out with PB blaster a few hours before and before I tried to even take them out I hit them a dozen times with an impact tool set to L for loosen. When I got them a little lose I sprayed in more blaster and then when they were up a bit more blaster yet and I sprayed from the bottom too.

(I wanted to do mine, got the tops lose and not the bottoms because I was installing tow points on the front bumper. I gave up on them when I saw how bad the bottoms were, I could not even budge them. If I have to deal with it that will be when and if I replace the bumper for any reason and at that point I may see cutting them, drilling and retapping or welding a nut on after.)
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #10
Gus4x4

I used a 1/2 inch drive 4 foot breaker with a torx bit. Came out like butter. PB Blastered them the night before too....
Gus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
FarrellX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i had trouble with torx bits on my windshield bracket. stripped heads, wouldnt budge, previous owner painting over them with heavy duty paint.

went to target (just cause i was there, my plan was to go to a hardware store) and got some black and dekcer screw extractors. popped the 4 screws, that i couldnt even budge, out in about 5-10 minutes. just went to home depot and bought some hex head bolts for the replacement. taking them on and off is a breeze now, and i dont have to worry about stripping.
FarrellX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.