Front brakes line lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front brakes line lock

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 06-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Front brakes line lock

Thinking about putting in a line lock for the front brakes.
For years I have been runnng one for the rears.
It is a simple ball valve, I cut the rear brake line, and ran it into the cab. It then goes through the ball valve, back out. Then back to the original brake line. To use it you push down on the brakes and turn the valve. This keeps the pressure in the rear brakes.
The front is a little different though as there are two lines that come out of the proportioning valve.
I have been looking at different kits out there. With those you install a solenoid, and block off one of the lines coming out of the proportiong valve. It then goes into the solenoid, back out, then you put a tee to run the lines back out to the two front calipers.
I would think this would reduce the pressure to the front brakes and I am not really happy that is is electric. If I was to forget about it it could wear the battery down.
Ok now to my question.
If I was to run the one line for the front brakes right off of the master, into the cab. Then to a ball valve, then back out to the proportioning valve, I would not loose line pressure or a need to run a electric solenoid.
Would this work?

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why?
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

you can use 2 ball valves. Just put a truss bar between the levers so you remember to turn both.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Why?
It could be usefull for many things.
I do not have a manual parking brake so I use the rear line lock for that, the front one, with the ade on the rear would hold even better.
I could also lock up just the front and be able to spin the Jeep, or throw mud at someone behind me.
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
you can use 2 ball valves. Just put a truss bar between the levers so you remember to turn both.
Yea I thought about that too but I would rather just run one line into the cab.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
It could be useful for many things.
I think 'many' is a stretch, since a gazillion other Jeepers seem fine without a 'front parking brake'. But, if that's what you want, have at it. They usually are in front on drag cars (where they actually have a line), so you may get better results Googling for drag forums (stay away from Google results about high heels in men sizes).
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have thought about installing a line lock for use as a hill holding device when wheeling steep hills. Any one tried this? I would use the solenoid type designed for use in brake systems. I don't think I would use it for a parking brake in an unattended vehicle. Any pressure loss and you might be looking for a good body man, or worse a good lawyer.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went with this on the rear drive shaft. Since it's in 4wd on hills, this gets all 4 wheels. It's also 4.88x stronger than a disc at the wheel.

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I went with this on the rear drive shaft. Since it's in 4wd on hills, this gets all 4 wheels. It's also 4.88x stronger than a disc at the wheel.

looks awesome Don. Do you use it for those times when you need an extra leg to work the clutch and brake? or just for parking?
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap View Post
looks awesome Don. Do you use it for those times when you need an extra leg to work the clutch and brake? or just for parking?
Just parking. If you have low enough gears, you don't have brake/clutch issues. You can also old-school it and just turn the key in gear, not touch the clutch pedal.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #11
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just parking. If you have low enough gears, you don't have brake/clutch issues. You can also old-school it and just turn the key in gear, not touch the clutch pedal.
yea my present combo is pretty hard to stall in 4lo. And I have done the launch it on the starter stunt. I was just thinking a line lock might make me look like a better driver then I am. I have experience with the electric sol type from my drag racing days.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap View Post
I was just thinking a line lock might make me look like a better driver then I am.
Another idea would be to actually learn to be a better driver than you are.
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:

Looks like your jeep spent the night in a garage with a Land Rover
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why?
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
I answered that question.
The question is, would I be able to put a line lock using the brake line before the preportioning valve or would it have to be after it?
I use my hand throttle when I am on a hill and have to use 3 feet.
JeeperDon was that a kit?
Is the caliper, cable actuated or hydrolic?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.