Front axle swap ... dana 30 vs dana 44 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front axle swap ... dana 30 vs dana 44

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
Hold on: Dana 30 27 spline axle shafts Dana 44 30 spline
Dana 30 small R&P Dana 44 bigger R&P
Dana 30 small shafts Dana 44 bigger shafts

I put a Scout 2 Dana 44 in the front of my CJ I think it's much stronger.
Yes the 44 is stronger, but in my world people skip the 44 when they ditch the 30 and go straight to the 60. The 44 will break axles if you are getting air and hitting the rocks hard. 44 is wonder ful for mild trails.

Unread 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
Hold on: Dana 30 27 spline axle shafts Dana 44 30 spline
Dana 30 small R&P Dana 44 bigger R&P
Dana 30 small shafts Dana 44 bigger shafts

I put a Scout 2 Dana 44 in the front of my CJ I think it's much stronger.
99% of the time, you're not going to snap a shaft before you break a joint. Read my post above. They use the same joints.

You'll also break a u-joint before you grenade a gear set unless you start hopping the front end violently and overflex the housing.

Its really not much of an upgrade and not worth the cost IMHO. The 30 with better shafts holds 35s great.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
jorgepgb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all your opinions... I decided to purchase the Chromoly Shafts ... I only have 33's, so they should hold very well... I just installed the driver axle, and now I'm at the passenger. My diff has the vacuum actuator, do I just take everthing off and install the long shaft?? do I need to do any other mods because of the vac actuator?? Cover it with a plate??
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to install a axle seal on the pass side of the diff ( napa- 11800 ). This requires removing the carrier.
I haven't done this myself but it doesn't seem to difficult.
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv View Post
You will need to install a axle seal on the pass side of the diff ( napa- 11800 ). This requires removing the carrier.
I haven't done this myself but it doesn't seem to difficult.
Accurate.

Its very easy, just note the two bearing caps orientation (that hold the carrier in) you want to re-install them in the same spot and orientation.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Accurate.

Its very easy, just note the two bearing caps orientation (that hold the carrier in) you want to re-install them in the same spot and orientation.
I used the NAPA part and a seearch on here for converting to TJ shafts should lead to some good "how to". You are going to have to pull the drivers side shaft back out to pull the carrier and to get a straight shot at the seal. I also made a flat block off plate and pulled the vacuum actuator off. If you want your 4wd light to work you need to get an electric switch from an XJ or TJ. Good Luck.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
30 , 44 , bronco , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.