Front axle solution - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Front axle solution

So after banging my shackles on everything I am thinking shackle reversal. I like my width and the high pinion so grab a XJ high pinion 4:10 ratio and start welding. What have others done?

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Change the stock hangers location and replace stock hangers while you're at it....

Move them forward.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is also the option of learning how to drive your jeep better.

Not a knock.... ur probably far better than i am... just saying. Learn the jeep and hoe it stands and handles.... then correct ur drivong and approach.

Thats free $0.00

post #4 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

SRS usually adds lift height too...

That being said, I've never felt my shackles where a hinderence... nor have I ever felt them banging on everything

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #5 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper
There is also the option of learning how to drive your jeep better. Not a knock.... ur probably far better than i am... just saying. Learn the jeep and hoe it stands and handles.... then correct ur drivong and approach. Thats free $0.00
I rock crawl. About 15-20 years now. Thanks for the driving advise though. Totally answered my question.👍

post #6 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 05:01 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea what a shackle reversal has to do with getting a XJ front diff, seems as though you're making more work for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 05:11 PM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper
There is also the option of learning how to drive your jeep better. Not a knock.... ur probably far better than i am... just saying. Learn the jeep and hoe it stands and handles.... then correct ur drivong and approach. Thats free $0.00
I rock crawl. About 15-20 years now. Thanks for the driving advise though. Totally answered my question.👍
Sorry didnt mean to sound like an ***. I did concede and states you were mlst likely far better than i am.

If rock crawlin is your game, and u been doin it that long - are you just not into a proper SOA setup?
post #8 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't put enough info in this. I like the high pinion 30. I might want to start with a non CAD housing to do my spring over, no castings. I also have hydro assist so it helps with clearance. I'd like to do the shackle reversal to improve my approach angle, no shackles to bump. My tierod is flipped so there is limited clearance between the drag link and tierod. A spring over with flat springs (stock) will keep this clearance from being any issue and keeps my ride height the same. Sorry for the confusion

post #9 of 24 Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have done a Shackle reversal on two YJ's I have owned however mine are mostly street driven with mild wheeling and I feel it helped soften the ride and reduced some of the bounce. I definitely do not rock crawl so I am not sure how it would do for that. There are plenty of kits available and I agree with earlier comments, they add lift. Best of luck

I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing forever.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
My tierod is flipped so there is limited clearance between the drag link and tierod. A spring over with flat springs (stock) will keep this clearance from being any issue and keeps my ride height the same.
I don't think that will work. There was no way I could flip my tie rod without hitting the springs when I had my Dana 30 SOA. If you go SOA your approach angle will be better. What size tires are you running or plan to run? On 35's SOA shackles were never an issue for me. Granted I cant go straight to a rock face and climb it, but my axle isn't far enough forward to do that anyways.

YJ 350TPI NV4500 HPD60 14BFF ARB Chromo's
March 2017 YJOTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't put enough info in this. I like the high pinion 30. I might want to start with a non CAD housing to do my spring over, no castings. I also have hydro assist so it helps with clearance. I'd like to do the shackle reversal to improve my approach angle, no shackles to bump. My tierod is flipped so there is limited clearance between the drag link and tierod. A spring over with flat springs (stock) will keep this clearance from being any issue and keeps my ride height the same. Sorry for the confusion
That makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I don't think that will work. There was no way I could flip my tie rod without hitting the springs when I had my Dana 30 SOA. If you go SOA your approach angle will be better. What size tires are you running or plan to run? On 35's SOA shackles were never an issue for me. Granted I cant go straight to a rock face and climb it, but my axle isn't far enough forward to do that anyways.
100% agree.

SOA and 35's if my front bumper cleared a vertical face the shackles would clear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

35's SOA in this pic, tossed a few helper rocks at the base and never once dragged my bumper or shackles on the approach. The rock behind, you can see the rubber, up and over, no shackle contact..
Attached Thumbnails
Sam 1st wall (1).jpg  

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ
Duhhh! Noticed today. I will have to figure this out. Maybe a different axle same width.....

post #14 of 24 Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This would work!!

http://www.rocky-road.com/yj-high-steer.html

post #15 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

Are you swapping the control arm setup with the XJ axle, to eliminate the front leaf springs and shackles altogether?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.