front axle seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front axle seal

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

front axle seal

I.just replaced the passenger side axle u.joint. went out tonight and noticed little bit of diff fluid on.the ground and on.the knuckle. Did I need to grease anything up.putting axle shaft.back.in? Did I trash the seal? I'm hoping that was.just the remainder of the

Unread 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Remainder of the diff fluid that got lose during shaft removal.
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd just wipe it all down and drive it, check it in a couple of days and see if more lube has come out. It's very possible that what you're seeing is just lube that's gotten past the seal when pulling the shaft. If it's still leaking though you're likely gonna need a new seal.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

rock on. thanks! thats what i figured. I couldn't figure out why my garage stunk...until now. LOL. Thanks everyone! New Seal is replaced from the inside isn't it? From the vac disconnect area?
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
rock on. thanks! thats what i figured. I couldn't figure out why my garage stunk...until now. LOL. Thanks everyone! New Seal is replaced from the inside isn't it? From the vac disconnect area?
Yes, that seal is just outboard of the vac disconnect.
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It is a PIA to replace without the right tools. I spent 2 days and 2 seals before stopping to get the correct tools for the job. Now I can replace one in about an hour.

Do a search and you will find the post with part numbers for the tools needed. They are a little pricey. I went the cheap route and got the universal seal press kit from Harbor Freight and used my drill and bench grinder to size the closes one down to fit the seal. With some all-thread, couple nuts, some fender washers and the customized seal press I can have the old one out and the new one in in no time.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.