front axle prob-please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front axle prob-please help!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 09-27-2001, 05:31 AM   #1
hardoncj5

front axle prob-please help!

i think there is something wrong with the front engage-disengage system (yj'89)
can someone send some pics or a diagram of the vacuum hoses and the proper connections?
any info would be apreciated
thank you

hardoncj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2001, 04:23 PM   #2
shea324@aol.com

Whats wrong with your axle is the design. Save youself the trouble and go to www.quadratec.com and search for "posi-lok". This will solve your problems.
Unread 09-27-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have a problem as well with mine right now. My front driveshaft is "connected" to the front axle .. when the drivers wheel turns, so does the driveshaft. When the passenger wheel turns, the driveshaft stays still.

My driveshaft used to be fully dis-engaged .. I could spin it freely by hand with all tires on the ground, and I can't anymore.

Any one with ideas on what to look at? Is it the gears, or the vacuum actuator?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2001, 09:25 PM   #4
JeeperJay

That is another design flaw with the D30. The drivers side axle shaft will always spin the differental and driveshaft even if the 4WD is not engaged, but since the transfer case is not disributing power to the front wheels its is still considerd 2WD. Its a characteristic of the D30 that makes for bad on-road handling. The only way to fix it is to lose the D30
Unread 09-28-2001, 06:03 PM   #5
jpwranglr9

your disconect is fine. something is up in the differential. yes your driver side driveshaft is always connected but when in 2wd, your spider gears should spin letting you freely turn your driveshaft. likewise you can turn your both wheels independent of each other and of the driveshaft. if you have a limited slip or places a locker in the front, this will cause you driverside wheel to always spin the driveshaft due to no spiders. If you dont have a limited slip or a locker, then there may be something wrong with your spiders in the front carrier. try to spin the driveshaft while all wheels are on the ground. if it doesn't turn either directions then pull the cover, drain the fluid and check the spiders. make sure they didnt get jammed. if it does spin, than you are ok. it may take some force. dont worry about the spining driveshaft when you are driving if it checks out ok...there is no load on it.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2001, 08:17 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think that my front driveshaft is not balanced properly .. anything over 100km/h (60mph) and my front shakes like a leaf in a tornado.

I was thinking the spidergears might be the problem .. but wasn't sure. I will take it apart and verify this real soon (the weather is supposed to be nice soon, so I can work in the sunshine).

Thanks!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.