front axle "play" or "slop" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front axle "play" or "slop"

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Philthy1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

front axle "play" or "slop"

I would like to start off by apologizing if this topic has been covered somewhere else, I searched and found similar issues but I'm not sure witch I'm dealing with... kinda a noob to the drivetrain/axle areas of my YJ.

here's my issue: about a week or so ago I started hearing a ticking noise coming from the front passenger tire, I only recently got the tire off to take a look at it. there's nothing rubbing or knocking against the tire or rotor, and the wheel bearing is only about a year old and is in good shape. I found that when I spin the wheel hub, that at a certain point the axle yoke/u-joint makes a noise and that there is about a 1/4 maybe 1/2 inch of "play" or "slop" before it seems to "catch" in the axle section now I was told by someone that it could be the U-joint needing to be replaced, then after searching the forums here I'm beginning to think that when I replaced the wheel bearing I may not have tightened the axle nut to the right torque and that that may be part of/the whole issue Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

I have a stock '94 YJ w/ stock front axles (Dana 30)

Philthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like u-joint to me.

Tags
axle noise , front axle problem , u joint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.