Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front axle not working in 4WD.

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  IP076 
#1 ·
I know some you have done this, there is an after market cable system that levers the front axle into 4WD status as opposed to vacuum. Anyways, out on the trail a little bit this morning, and notice 4low is fine, just the front axle is not working. The 4WD light in dash isn't working either. Hoenestly I don't like any kind of vacuum systems really, I much prefer the cable/mechanical systems. So, I comb through the vacuum lines for a ittle bit, not seeing anything obvious..I have the money, and I am really just wanting to buy the kit that will just simply lever it over by cable. I plan on buying the kit, but would like a little more insight on what I want to do, you know, the goods, the bads..why I should fix my vacuum system..etc. All those things.

#2 ·
The cable kit is called posi-lok. About $200. As an alternative look at the FAQ's. There's a write-up explaining how to do a homemade posi-lok. Parts are about $50 I believe?

#4 ·
Post updates moonshinefuel would like to know what you did and how it turns out.

Mine went out and it turned out the vacuum line runs underneath the battery box and the po had a bad battery or something and the battery acid eat through the lines. Spliced in new lines and all works good now. But would love to convert to a hard manual system. Heck for $50.00 it looks interesting.

On a side note Like the Doors photo:thumbsup:

#5 ·
there's some pretty good threads on this too. I can't remember who it was, but there were some posts in favor of keeping the vacuum system too. They seem to be pretty simple to keep running. The home made posi lock is very cool too.

#6 ·
Thank you g8ts, I will keep posted here as I go along. Oh and yes The Doors struck a cord with me when I was in my teens for whatever reason. Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll, and The Doors were the spirit of Rock and Roll. (For me). Monkeyhouse, yes that's exactly what I was thinking, I remember a thread somewhere in favor of keeping the vacuum, I was interesting in reading the reasons as to favoring the vacuum system, see what their take is, and go from there.

#8 ·
I installed the Posi-Lok and it's fairly simple to install, and works like a champ. No more vacuum lines.

It comes with a cable that you pull out to engage. Sometimes on mine the cable pushes out on its own (maybe its the way i installed it). Which turns on the 4WD light, but I believe its truly not engaged (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here). That would be the only downside I have seen.

:2thumbsup:

#10 ·
i forget how they end up getting around that, but there are several posts about that, there is an easy fix that works great. I think they had something on the end of the cable that would slide through the hole and flip and hold. It might be in that thread.

#12 ·
:D That sounds too simple to be true. But I like it. So the axle is always in 4wd mode, (so to speak), but by taking the transfer case out of 4wd and back into 2wd, will be sufficient enough for the front axle? Just wondering if I am understanding this correctly.

#13 ·
yep.. its worked so far (2 months).. just take it off, move the round thing on the axle so its basically a 1 piece axle, then the cover/fork that u pulled off, take the c-clip off, push the fork over, put c-clip back on and reinstall.. ur 4wd drive light wont work tho. i think theres a write up around here somewhere..

#15 ·
Thank for that link. It describes it very well with the illustrations. It looks like most of what I circled would be moving in 2 high, as opposed to not moving in 2 high when properly levering the fork to its normal position. This really helps me understand my axle better. Thank you. As a daily runner I am not sure I will do it this way, but it is very interesting. Thank you.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.