Front Axle Disconnect Vacuum Elimination - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Axle Disconnect Vacuum Elimination

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
T.Maxwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Front Axle Disconnect Vacuum Elimination

Has anyone heard of a method to mechanically engage/disengage the axle locking mechanism on the front axle of an 88 YJ? My buddy has just left *****ing that there has to be a better way to engage/disengage the front axle rather than my old, rusty vacuum motor. Any thoughts are welcome. We discussed the elimination of the vacuum motor and perhaps a heavy-duty "choke like cable" to provide engagement/disengagement of the front axle. Thanks again to all!

T.Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

very common mod. search for posi lock.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the FAQ section is your friend

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/

or if you want to get crazy
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...beware-793813/

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through a similar search last week, thinking to replace my disconnect.

However, I researched how the system works. Once I understood it, I repaired it in about 2 hours. Pulled the whole vac harness, repaired it, tested it before reinstalling, and reinstalled in jeep. I now have it protected and routed in a way that protects it well, and it cost me 3 bucks for some vac lines and tape.

Its extremely simple. 90% chance your vac motor is fine. There are 4 plastic lines that have to be intact. If they crack or leak, the motor will not work. Fix the leak (easy!!!) and it will work perfect.

No need to mcguyver something up and dont wast 250 bucks on a posi lock.

Yes The posi lock does work, but I'm spending my money elsewhere, and I am absolutely positive that the vac motor will work everytime i shift into 4wd. In the off chance it doesent, if you understand how it works, you can get it to go into 4wd with out using your factory harness anyway.

Newfie
Newfie_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
T.Maxwell
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Newfie: Did you get your info from the Factory Service Manual or where?
Thanks for the shout and best of luck to you!
T.Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Maxwell View Post
Newfie: Did you get your info from the Factory Service Manual or where?
Thanks for the shout and best of luck to you!
There's a whole break down on the vac system in the FAQ's. Yest the vac system is simple, when it works. Personally I got rid of mine with it quit and did the homebuilt posi. That also worked fine, but I eventually swapped in solid shafts and was done with the whole disco thing.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie_Jeeper View Post

No need to mcguyver something up and dont wast 250 bucks on a posi lock.

Newfie
for a $29 dollar locking choke cable and a few small parts its a str8 forward and reliable mod. he said his vac motor was all rusted and they sell for $80.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Better yet, go to the junk yard get a set of TJ axles shafts and eliminate the disco completely.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that it may be worth it to some to remove the vac system and go manual cable. However, I've seen people having adjustment problems with cables, and that is just as unreliable as the vac lines.

Jeep put it on the YJ because its a good system and does work. It does however, need to be maintained.

The rig is 20 yrs old. If the vac lines havent been maintained, of course its gonna act like a Piece of ****. If you didnt maintain your engine, change the plugs, or oil, or just drove it for 20 yrs, it would be the same thing.

AND, now, almost 20 yrs later the disconnect is finally starting to give out...That aint bad if it worked for the first 15-18 yrs trouble free.

Yes, posi lock works. Yes, Solid shaft upgrade is definitely good, if your front driveshaft is balanced and you dont mind it spinning all the time.

But, It is EXTREMELY cheap to at least test the original system. 5 mins and 4 bolts will tell you if your vac motor is working. 5 mins with the motor running to see if the switch in the TC is working. If it is, unplug the harness, fix the leaks, tape it up, package it well and put it all back. It will probably work for another 15-18 yrs.

T.Maxwell dont let a little rust scare. I have a parts YJ here that rusted so bad the chassis broke in half.... the Vac motor still worked.

If you want a break down of the vac lines and colors and how to test the motor, search this board or I can tell you what I did with mine.

Newfie
Newfie_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i like having the two piece axle. when im in low range on a granite slab and need to turn it helps to be able to unlock the axle while in 4 low
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if i were to use the vacum motor i would repipe it to solenoinds controlled by switches on the dash and not controlled by the transfer case switch
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
if i were to use the vacum motor i would repipe it to solenoinds controlled by switches on the dash and not controlled by the transfer case switch
that is exactly how mine is set up

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
that is exactly how mine is set up
i wish i had tried this b4 i cut off mine. not that my posilok doesnt work ok, it would be cool to do it that way.
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
OOXTEME
1994 YJ Wrangler 

brian you got a write up on how you did the switch setup? thanks!!!

94 Yj 350 700R4 Swap with Ford 8.8 in progress, 3" BDS Lift, 1" Shackels, 3" Body, Rhino Lined Tub
OOXTEME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOXTEME View Post
brian you got a write up on how you did the switch setup? thanks!!!
I didn't really do a write up, But it is very straight forward. all you need is a 3 way toggle, 2 vacuum switches, wire and some vacuum line. I got my switches from the junk yard off an 80's ford. then you just run the wire so that 1 way on the toggle activates one switch and the other way activates the other. then just run a constant vacuum to the switches and run a line from each switch to the vacuum motor and have fun. once the switch has power it allows the vacuum to go past the switch. I have been considering doing a write up for some time now, But just haven't

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.