Front axle centering SOA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front axle centering SOA

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
mikes88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Front axle centering SOA

Bought an 88 Wrangler that PO did an SOA on, was wondering if there is a way to tell if the front and rear axles are centered from left to right? All old spring perches and shock mounts were cut off. Just double checking everything that was done before I start body work. Also, no alignment shop around me will touch the thing with 35's on it.
Front axle is a dana 30 rear is an xj dana 44
Thanks,
Mike

mikes88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One way is to use a plumb bob along the sides of the frame above the axles & measure where the string is to a point on the axle (EG: from where the string falls to the top of a knuckle) and compare side to side measurements to see if they are equal.

Check this link out for a basic toe-in alignment. Super simple & free since all you can do on a YJ is toe-in.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To see if its square with the frame you can also measure from center of driver balljoint to the passenger framerail and then pass balljoint to driver frame. Basically measureing a big X underneath.
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty hard to screw up the centering of the axels. Even if they were off a 1/4" it would be hardly be noticable. I would be more concerned with DL angles and caster.

zman
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
mikes88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks will try with the plumb bob and will also measure to verify.
Pinion angles look to be alright about 2-3 degrees from sye and set at about 7 degrees caster angle in the front. I just wanted to check that it tracks right.

Thanks,
Mike
mikes88yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.