Fried wire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fried wire

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fried wire

I posted a few days ago about this electrical problem and fusible links on my 1990 YJ. Well they all check out good, removed and relocated the starter relay and cleaned all contacts. Suspected the starter switch as all else seems to be good. Wow, what a bugger to get to, we pulled the steering column and was able to get to the switch. Removed it and replaced it with the key in the off lock position. There is a yellow wire coming off the switch that had the insulation melted on it. Taped it up and decided to try and start the Jeep. Left the column out to easy access if needed. Put battery back in and when I hooked up the negative cable the wiring loom across the firewall began to smoke. Couldn't disconnect the battery fast enough. Bared the wiring harness and find the yellow wire to the fuse block is fried. It comes off the block and goes across the firewall to about center then joins I think three others and also forks into the firewall. I believe the other end goes to the ignition switch. Cannot figure out why no fuses or fusible link blew. So, any ideas why and also what this wire might serve?

Lgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The yellow wires in your harness generally serve as ignition hots and they will run to different things on your YJ. They go to the ECU, the ICM, ignition switch, others. You are gonna have to trace it and test the components to see which one is shorting out.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yellow is your lights. The wire fried so you have a dead short. You need to use a fsm wiring diagram and a bulb and find out where the short is. Here is a link to the youtube video explaining the light bulb trick to find a short and the fsm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQzjGtXJY_k

Here is a link for the FSM. .
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-88%20YJ%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20FSM%20manual.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/1990%20Jeep%20Factory%20Service%20Manual.pdf
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll give it a try today. What I don't understand tho is why the fuse or fusible link did not blow. Any ideas on that?
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Common issue with lights Usually backfeed issues. Have you been having taillight issues?
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not with the tail lights but just before this happened the right turn indicator on the dash started to stay on all the time and the turn signal (right front) burned out the bulb. No other light issues I am aware of.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Turn signal circuit is probably where to start looking. The bulb trick saves you a lot of fuses.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I'll start there and let you know what I find. Again, thank you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.