Free Horsepower? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Free Horsepower?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
ClarkRCC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Free Horsepower?

so the other day i was replacing the heater hoses and i thought to myself, other than in cold weather why does the intake need to have coolant fed threw it?

It makes since that cooler air makes better power and if you just bypass the intake and run a hose off the thermostat housing to the heater core would keep the intake temps cooler without 200 degree water passing each runner. But then i pondered some more and thought that the coolant could run threw the intake for a couple reasons:

1 the exhaust manifold is right under the intake and the coolant is actually cooling the intake from the heat off the exhaust

2 there are water jackets shared with the head and intake

3 the coolant temp sensor is in the manifold.

Now i came and posted this here to get some more input and see if bypassing the intake is or isn't a good idea because if it works it would be simple to do and the cooler denser air should make the engine run better.

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From my experience with intercooled turbo charged cars....it wont help that much, short of throwing an intercooler in front of the engine, it wont provide enough cooling to make a noticalbe difference. But thats just my experience but thats with 2.0L with dinner plate turbos pushing over 300bhp. It might make a difference in a jeep since the levels are not nearly as extreme.
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
ClarkRCC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

True but with boosted engines the compression of the air creates heat ( I'm sure you know) thus the need for the intercooler. But I actually got this idea from my friend who told me its pretty common thing to do on Hondas. And he got the idea from his prelude forum lol
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can't answer your question directly, but I found this to be pretty interesting reading:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...ypass-1126042/

and really, I hate linking back to other forum posts but I did a search and turned up this one which did have some valid points in it.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bypassed it when a hose blew, made my jeep run AWFUL.....

Maybe it was in combination with a different problem...but maybe the heat helps the gas turn to vapor more...idk

;)[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Krochus;9994323]
The 2.5 is a boat anchor. 2.5l and 100hp is not enough for a rig that ways 3500lbs + rolling on soft tires with the aerodynamics of a waffle house restaurant[/QUOTE]
Sparkfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Running my saab at 16psi created alot of heat, enough to make me upgrade to a bigger waste gate to help get out all the pressure but I really dont see it helping much here. Maybe this will be my experiment tomorrow night at the garage while I'm doing an oil change on my dad's truck.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well one thing is in the winter time in fact any time when the temperature is about 55 or below it keeps the moisture in the air from freezing. In longer runners on the front and back you would get a imbalance of fuel mixture to the cylinders. Now if someone could make a intake that had closer balance in length for the runners then you would not need them( like 225ci slant 6 engine have.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

For race type applications, this is a good idea. But for a street engine that will be turning under 4,000 RPMS all the time, it is a horrible idea. You need the manifold heated for proper fuel evaporation, and proper air/fuel mixture throughout the intake.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it was race only taking the heat out of the intake would certainly cool the charge and help power in the upper RPMs.The high mixture velocity would maintain good distribution and help to vaporize the fuel .BUT, At slower rpms seen by daily drivers, the use of manifold heat ensures that the fuel is vaporized. If heat is not used, the engine will run rough at slower speeds and distribution problems will become an issue. Aside from these points a lot of the emission systems are reliant on this heat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

The heat is there to boil off the fuel that falls out of suspension and pools on the bottom of your intake. This is why a carb needs to run a choke when cold. Because the fuel falls out of suspension or doesn't atomize properly and puddles on the floor of your intake and the correct a/f mix does not make it's way down each runner. So to compensate for this you need to throw more fuel at it to get an acceptable a/f mix for those first few minutes. V8 engine use either exhaust heat or coolant to heat the intake manifold, however by design a V8 intake manifold will naturally be warmed up by the rest of the engine so that eventually it will get up to an acceptable temp however an inline engine with the intake hanging off the side of the motor will stay much more cool, especially when it's colder outside.

So yes, you will make more top end power if you bypass the coolant, however during normal driving throttle response, driveability and warm-up time will all be worsened. It will also probably want to bog a bit during normal driving.
444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I would think it was there to keep the intake cool. With the exhaust right underneath, I would think it will see some very hot heat. Also heat transfered from the head to the intake will add some heat. So with a constant 190 to 200 coolent you keep the intake cool but hot enought to keep the fuel atomize.

There is also a warm up 12V heater in the bottom of the intake. I beleive this only works when cold.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.