Free brake line relocation for lifted YJ's. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Free brake line relocation for lifted YJ's.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Free brake line relocation for lifted YJ's.

I've had a few people ask me about relocating brake lines lately so I figured I would start a thread on it. I'm missing one of the pictures of the rear so ill be editing this first post a couple times so bear with me.

I came upon the process by being cheap and during one of the many hours of just staring at my jeep it came to me to just pull the lines down so I didn't have to go through the hassle of buying extended brake lines and bleeding the brakes, two things that after purchasing and installing a lift are just not on the docket, like doing a TC drop unless its absolutely necessary. So here goes:

Passenger side is the first one I end up doing because I always start lift installs on tr passenger front for some odd reason. This is pretty easy to locate and unbolt the bracket on the top of the frame in front of the shock mount. It's an annoying little torx bolt that needs an extension or ten to access from under the hood. It is pretty easy to extract if you can get a good bite on it. I pull the line out of the plastic holder located a couple inches toward the radiator and down along the side of the frame rail to a hole that was formerly occupied by the plastic splash guards between the frame and inner fender likewise.

Note: The same torx screw was reused in this application.

Drivers side:
This one is a little tougher but if you're mid lift install then it should be a piece of cake. While the shocks are off, pop the hood and unbolt the stock airbox if your year had it installed on the inner fender. Move it aside and pry the inner fender out so you can get a clear line of sight on the torx boot holding the drivers side line to the frame. A third hand was needed on my last adventure to be honest. Remove said screw and take the caliper off the brake assembly. Just unbolt it but do not take the hydraulic line loose!! Carefully reroute the line around the front of the shock tower paying special attention to the clips holding the lines tight to the frame. I then drilled a hole behind where the shock resides and used a self tapper to secure it to the frame. Looking like this:

The rear lines are a little easier and sometimes just bending the sheet metal bracket down to a position somewhat parallel to the ground will not only give extra slack but also put the line in a situation that if the line was to overextend, the bracket would bend more instead of the line shearing and problems arising.

If these little tricks do not give you the slack you need for flex then you'll have to get some extended lines. I run the goodridge lines because they're only $35 and they work. Just make sure that before you hit the trails that you flex out the suspension completely and make sure you're in the clear. Your brakelines are as much limiting straps as your shocks should be bumpstops. Just because you're cutting cost doesn't mean you can cut corners. The aforementioned relocations work quite well for the Old Man Emu 36r springs all around and were tested on two jeeps with that setup. One had more than a forklift test on a pretty good trail a month later.

Testing one jeep:

Testing another:

And yes, that's me spotting!

And finally the relocation with extended lines:

Unread 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice write up, great pics, easy to follow instructions. Thanks Canman
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ill be doing the relocation again this weekend so ill take better pictures. Hope this helps some of you out!!
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great writeup. I need to relocate my lines. I havent done it yet although I attempted it long ago, but the old torx screws teeth rounded out.
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Even though my Jeep is down, I'd like to do this to at least give me time to replenish the Jeep funds. Can anything be done on the rear? My fronts are OK for road driving, by my rear is really tight. I already popped it off of the exhaust dampener... just curious if there was anything further. Good write up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good stuff I still need to do this. Can't seem to break those bolts free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14
Mine were pretty easy...... with canmans help that is, i will be getting pics later and posting em here, im in lathrop picking up my dads semi
AmmitOsiris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
I couldnt break the bolts free either.
Unread 09-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's pics
forumrunner_20120930_154727.jpg   forumrunner_20120930_154737.jpg   forumrunner_20120930_154756.jpg   forumrunner_20120930_154807.jpg  
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
tenghensen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

parking beak lines

Hey, thanks for pointing me to this thread. The thing that I am having an issue with is actually the parking brake more than the normal brake lines in the back. They are getting maxed out a couple inches before anything else and are stopping me from installing some extended boomerang shackles. Any tips/experience?
tenghensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't had my stock brake lines in for a while so I can't comment on it. However the next time I get under a Yj with the stock rear axle I will take a looksee.
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't had my stock brake lines in for a while so I can't comment on it. However the next time I get under a Yj with the stock rear axle I will take a looksee.
Which could be fairly soon, when I get new tires and ally that jazz, I still need to put the goodridge lines on
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did this before I saw this thread. I wish I'd seen it first, you've got good advice.

I did two things different:

1: I made a tool to remove the torx bolt from the driver's side bracket. Because there is no way to get a bit straight down into the bolt without removing the fender, I cut a torx bit into a little nib, then used a ratchet wrench to turn the nib while I held it into the head of the bolt with my fingertip. It turned out to be way easier this way, and I was able to do it from outside the engine bay.

2: I cut the driver's side line and positioned it behind the shock tower after re-flaring it. I WOULD NOT recommend trying to get the line around the shock tower without cutting it. With as much bending as you have to do to the line to get it to come back that far, you're seriously compromising the structural integrity of the line. Go to an auto parts store and rent a flare tool. It's easy to do. I had to flare mine twice but I got it.

Also, I don't mean to hijack, but do Jeeps come with the bumpstops able to hit the axle? I wonder if my flex is being limited unnecessarily by the bumpstop extenders that are welded to my axles. You can see what I am talking about in the above picture. It's right behind the shock in the lower left part of the picture.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you take off the airbox and bend the fender a little out toward the wheel, a couple extensions on a ratchet will get the torx right out. I've done it about four times now.
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you take off the airbox and bend the fender a little out toward the wheel, a couple extensions on a ratchet will get the torx right out. I've done it about four times now.
I lost my only prybar at a gas station. I set it down next to the Jeep after using it to open my jerry can. I realized it was gone the next morning, but someone had stolen it.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.