Frame work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame work

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 06-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
liithium
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Frame work

Frame of my new jeep is solid with no cracks, but being from ohio it sure is rusty. Any suggestions, of products for getting the rust down to bar metal and coating it. Or would it just be easier to find a local joint to do the work?

Mike

liithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Duncan542
1995 YJ Wrangler 

POR-15 i heard is great. You don't even actually have to sand it down, just knock of the chunks of rust and slap her on.

I purchased some and will be putting it to the test some time during my swap that I am working on now.
Duncan542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You might look into powder costing it. I know, I know that sounds real expensive but I had my frame and skid plate sand blasted and powder coated for $375.00. I am not sure I could have bought the material to do it and damn sure would not been able to pay the labor. Just a thought and might be worth checking into.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
liithium
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Both of those suggestions sound great and I will be looking into the product as well as looking for a local vendor that does the sandblasting and powder coating.

Thx
Mike
liithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Appauldd

I use a combination of a flap wheel and a wire brush mounted on my angle grinder. Start with the wire brush to knock off the bigger chunks, then swap to the flap wheel (overlap sanding disk) to clean up the area to make it nice and smooth. Then, like others have said POR15 is fantastic. Goes on easy and makes a tough, good looking, surface.

Paul
Appauldd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.