frame rust repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > frame rust repair

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
sokr915

frame rust repair

Hey everyone, im new to the jeep world, and am about to pick up a 1995 yj for basically nothing, but part of the frame up front has a big hole in it and i was wondering what the best way to fix it would be, i have access to a welder. im thinking basically cut out the bad and replace with new metal, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this more smoothly, or know of where i can get steel to recreate the front of the frame?

here are some pictures
rusted frame

entire thing

thanks
Ryan

sokr915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokr915 View Post
Hey everyone, im new to the jeep world, and am about to pick up a 1995 yj for basically nothing, but part of the frame up front has a big hole in it and i was wondering what the best way to fix it would be, i have access to a welder. im thinking basically cut out the bad and replace with new metal, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this more smoothly, or know of where i can get steel to recreate the front of the frame?

here are some pictures
rusted frame

entire thing

thanks
Ryan
if you can weld that's a piece of cake...wish I could. They make that section that you can buy and weld it on. I know quadratrec sells all four ends. Just give them a call or check their site. I'm sure there are other companies that offer them too, I just happen to remember seeing them on quadratec. BTW, mine are the same way.
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
sokr915

are you still driving yours like that? just curious because i was thinking i was going to have to tow it home, but if i could drive it home it would be alot easier
sokr915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

how far is home hehe..... have it towed... if you drive it and it brakes more then it is... you will loose all steering.

as others have said just purchase the repair section for both sides (if one side looks like that then the other has been weakened by the frame moving back and forth. Also while your there check the rear shackle areas and where the fuel filter mounts.

Hmm just noticed this was my 1000th post

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not a bad job, if you can do your own fab work, but before doing anything check out the rest of the frame.

It might be worth looking into a total frame swap. I had a cracked frame near the steering box and by the time I cut and drilled and welded and drilled some more I'm pretty sure I could have swapped the whole tub over.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That section is repairable but you should go into this with your eyes open. If the frame has rusted that badly in that spot, how badly is the frame rusted elsewhere?

I would likely not drive it as all as-is to get it home. There is almost nothing holding the leaf spring shackle in place. If that gives way you can hurt someone else or yourself. Since the Jeep is 'almost free', you should be able to pay for a flatbed ride.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokr915 View Post
are you still driving yours like that? just curious because i was thinking i was going to have to tow it home, but if i could drive it home it would be alot easier
sokr915, they are right, if you can spare the cash definitely have it towed. Mine isn't quite that bad, but there is a crack where my steering box mounts up. I have been driving mine, but I hadn't seen that bad spot on the frame until I jacked it up to pull the tranny. I know I checked the frame before and it didn't look that bad, so they must deteriorate quickly. There's no sense in putting yourself and others in danger. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it looks really bad and yes, your steering will be the first thing to go.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
JoeR203
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can try Yarde Metals in Southington. They may have the material you need. I had a local spring shop do my rear frame. BTW, Hi From Danbury area.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.