Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

frame repair

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  monkeyhouse 
#1 ·
what im lookin for is specs on a frame rails.. i really dont wanna spend 150 per side for the safty caps. specially when i have access to a welder torch and metal. havent had a chance to measure due to crappy weather. just wanna see what everyone did

#2 ·
I had to fix about 95% of my YJ driver side frame and end of passenger side rail. Passenger side used 2 pieces of 1/8" flat steel. Driver side starting from back. 18" replacement from donor frame. Near fuel filter combination of new steel and donor. Front of rear shackle mount to back of front shackle mount donor. Steering gearbox new steel plate.

#3 ·
The frame rails are 2 1/2" X 4" and 1/8" thick if my memory is correct. I used 3/16 plate in a few areas because I already had the material.... ideally you should match the stock frame thickness.

#6 ·
Take a lot of reference measurements before you tear anything off so you know the new pieces are going back in correctly. Cut off and trace onto cardboard. Get some 1/8" stock and start cutting... Add some 3/16" fish plates to reinforce when you're done.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hit harbor freight and pick up 4 or 4.5 grinder with metal cutoff and grinding wheels. Stay away from angle grinder there. It's a piece of junk. Also sawsall comes in handy for cutting out and off pieces. I found with the jeep, the right tool make a big difference. Oh I also like their variable speed buffer with foam pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.