Frame Paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame Paint

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Frame Paint

I'm planning on using chassis saver to paint my frame and the bottom of my tub. Should I spay it or roll/brush it on?
Or are there better alternatives to chassis saver?
Any input would be appreciated.

devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have had super good luck with duplicolor spray on bedliner. It's pretty cheap and easy to spray. Tough as nails once it cures.
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

On an added note consider this for the inside..

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just used a paint brush with my chassis savor, itll even itself out as it dries. Spraying on is nice if u have the room and tools, I just didn't have the room to do it.
PA_YJ19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. Spaying would be more convenient, but rolling/brushing would be a tad less messy..
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought a gallon of Chassis saver and S8 reducer. I intend to spray it, but am on the fence. If Chassis saver is anything like POR 15, it has a Midas touch, but instead of turning everything to gold it turns everything black forever. I worry that it will destroy my paint gun. I have been tossing the idea up of buying a cheap spray gun just for this job.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam
I have had super good luck with duplicolor spray on bedliner. It's pretty cheap and easy to spray. Tough as nails once it cures.
X2 that's what I used on my Xj's bumpers , Sliders, skids, undercarriage. And on my YJ's frame , tcase skid, crossmember , hitch ......

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone here get their frame galvanized (hot dipped)? I wish I'd have thought to do so before putting the two coats of por15 and a coat of tractor paint on. On topic I used a brush, tried a roller but it's really not much better and you still need the brush for all the corners and brackets anyways.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa
Anyone here get their frame galvanized (hot dipped)? I wish I'd have thought to do so before putting the two coats of por15 and a coat of tractor paint on. On topic I used a brush, tried a roller but it's really not much better and you still need the brush for all the corners and brackets anyways.
95 yjs came galvanized, frame and body. If u have the money to do all that then get it powder coated. Powder coat will last much longer than galvanizing does from my experience.
PA_YJ19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post

X2 that's what I used on my Xj's bumpers , Sliders, skids, undercarriage. And on my YJ's frame , tcase skid, crossmember , hitch ......

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
It's also great if you do happen to chip it off. Just scuff and hit the spot. Half my jeep is done in that stuff.
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
It's also great if you do happen to chip it off. Just scuff and hit the spot. Half my jeep is done in that stuff.
this is the exact reason I did my entire Jeep in the stuff...of course I painted over the exterior of the tub in rustoleum safety orange as well...just to be a bit more colorful
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I sell a lot of Chassis Saver, the local school bus mechanics love it. It won't damage a paint gun if you clean your gun properly per the instructions right away. If you brush it on you won't need to buy the reducer at all, but make sure you put some plastic wrap over the top of the can before you put the lid on if you have any left otherwise it will basically seal itself and you won't get that lid off. Also you will need to topcoat the stuff if it is anywhere the sun will hit it. The sun doesn't decrease the strength or quality but will fade it to a grayish color.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend spaying or brushing it on? It'll be on the frame and underbody so no sun hppefully haha
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I would brush it on. Even though it is a bit more time consuming it's less mess, you won't have to buy the reducer, and you can be sure you hit everything with a good coat. If you are doing the frame and underbody brush would really be better anyway.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I Just did rustoleum on the back and tailgate. Super easy to do, worst part was roughing up the paint.

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.