Frame fixed and I am tired but have new question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame fixed and I am tired but have new question

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Frame fixed = resurection of a 92

Got the rear frame fixed - and threw in the 15 gal to 20 gall upgrade while I had the tank out - too lazy and tired to post, so here is a link to my local jeep clubs forum where I wrote it up - all of this was done today - so on the time line, I'm pretty pleased with how fast I worked Frame repair thread

Now for the new questions. Whilst I was under the jeep pulling the tank, I shook the yoke and determined it needs to have the berings replaced, also, the axel bushin gon teh track bar is toast.

what parts do I need to look for? - I'm not even sure what axel it is.

I'm REALY tired - if I don't here back from anyone, I shall search and seek further tomorrow, but at least the frame repair went well

Last edited by molsenice; 03-12-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: thread took a turn and needed a name change
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a job well done. by the looks of it you probably have a dana 35. If the track bar bushing is bad I'd just pull the whole track bar helps you out in the long run. I haven't run a front or rear track bar in 2 years no probs yet. Most of the guys here I think will agree with this but to each his own.

D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Looks good man. DId you fish plate that or just butt weld it??? What about the rear crossmember. It looks like crap, did you consider just replacing it with some 2X4 stock???

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsenice View Post
Now for the new questions. Whilst I was under the jeep pulling the tank, I shook the yoke and determined it needs to have the berings replaced, <snip> what parts do I need to look for? - I'm not even sure what axel it is.
If you're talking about the rear axle pinion bearing, you'll need to pull both axle shafts, remove the carrier and ring gear, then remove the pinion gear after you remove the rear drive shaft and yoke nut.

IIRC, the pinion bearing is pressed on/off, and you'd need a new crush sleeve and seal (at a minimum). Then a gear set-up would be in order. IMHO, it's not worth it to repair it because of old parts etc.

Sorry to say, but.....my guess is that after that's all done, you'll find lots of other issues besides just the pinion bearing that needs to be replaced.

Here's what you'd be looking at.

This is a D35C R&P that I removed due to failure.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

from what I have read this morning, the d35 is a POS - a local guy can set me up with an 8.8 for under 200 - drumw breaks - would need to figure the gearing - so I may as well plan on doing this sooner rather than waiting for the explosion

Last edited by molsenice; 03-07-2008 at 06:28 AM..
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
rfom what I hae read this morning, the d35 is a POS - a local guy can set me up with an 8.8 for under 200 - drumw breaks - would need to figure the gearing - so I may as well plan on doing this sooner rather than waiting for the explosion
What are the specs on your YJ????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Only specs i know at this point -

92 Wrangler
6 cyl FI - clean and runs great - no engine noise.
5 speed manual (makes it an AX15 i believe)
Rear I have been told is a D35 - POS - no idea what the grae ratio is - will look under it in about 30 min to see if it is stammped anywhere.
Front axel?? - no clue
Transfer case - cluless

Soft top - have a hard top that will fit.

Frame repaired, rusty floors just about buttoned up, new bumper less than a day from being bomb proof.

Would love to have someone clue me into what the front axel is - and any other spec detalis so I can stop being a mental unknown
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

front x is a dana 30, more than likely you have 3.07 gears usually a tag on the diff cover with this info, x-case is probably a np231

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
from what I have read this morning, the d35 is a POS - a local guy can set me up with an 8.8 for under 200 - drumw breaks - would need to figure the gearing - so I may as well plan on doing this sooner rather than waiting for the explosion
Yep, most will say don't wast your time with the D35. 200 for an 8.8 is not a bad deal. Unfortunately, the gearing isn't going to match up. Most 4.0 ax15 are 3.07 gears. I don't think any of them came with 3.73, none came with 4.10.

Couple of ways to check, crack open the diff cover and count teeth on the ring and pinon. Divide on over the other (not sure which way, I think the ring in the numerator and pinon in the denomator) and that will tell you your ratio. You can get an estimate from spinning your wheel one turn, and watch how many time the driveshaft spins. the number of spins equals you gear ratio. Last why I can think of is google and there are some sites out there where you enter in your specs, and it'll spit out your ratio.

If it were me, I'd get the 8.8 with 4.10s, then either regar the D30, or get a junk yard one from a yj with the I4 5-speed. That will have 4.10s also.

good luck

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Well stopped by a fellow jeepers place today - he told me in his opinion, it would be just as easy, if I went with the 8.8, to grab a different D30 and swap both axels - we were going to look at the pair he had in mind, but were stopped by the lake that had formed around them - it is raining here and it is very cold and wet - will be careful with it for now, at least if things go pow, he has a solution sitting in the yard.

made a set of bumpers for her - need to finish patching the floor behind the drivers seat. funny, ya knock down the road noise buy putting in floors where non were and you start hearing other noises - I think the trannie and transfer case could benifit with an oil change
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

92 Wrangler
6 cyl FI – 5.0L
5 speed manual AX 15
Rear D35 – 3.07
Front D 30 – 3.07
Transfer case – NP 231

them are the details best I can figure - Stock if I'm not mistaken.

got time to think, - swapping both axels and not gaining ground clearance seems a waste of time - but - doing a SO isn't in the budget right now either. More research is needed on my end - going to get lost in the search function
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

well spent a few hours today welding up a set of bumpers to replace the stock - climbed under the jeep and had an idea about the loose track bar on the rear - I could really give it a wobble and thought he bushing was shot, which it most likely is. The idea, which I did, was to heat the nut with a tourch and attempt to tighten the dang thing. - it worked - once the nut was red, put a wrench in it and went to town with a socket - that bugger is tighter than a morning snot. - mabey - just mabe I can check one more weird noise off the list
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

ok loud clunk when pulling into the driveway is gone. Pulled the seat today to look into reattaching the seatbelt. Wasnt to difficul, besides a rocking chair does not make a good driver's seat.

I am a shop teacher, so if I can make it, I will - need to fireup the camera, but I have used up a 4' X4' peice of 10 gauge swimming pool sheet metal to repair the gappin cavern where there was once a floor, and it went from under the pedals to ther front of the seat. Under the seat, I folded a 90 deg bend 4 1/2 inches up and 14 inches out - that took care of the under seat area of the floor, rewelded the seat bracket where it had cracked. Couple fancy corner bends and there is now 4 layers of steel welded into the corner in front of the floor mount for the spoprt bar. Everything went at least 2 inches into good metal, held into place with self tapping screws, then I drilled 1/2" holes near the screws and welded the holes shut. This somebich is one solid repair. Managed to save the bracket to attach the seat belt back where it belonged.

as for the burnt areas on the outside - a bit of touch up with the color matched rustolium and a brush - it will be fine.

Shot the area with some rustolium rattel can and hit the underside with undercoating from a can - solid, solid, solid - I like it!
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
got time to think, - swapping both axels and not gaining ground clearance seems a waste of time - but - doing a SO isn't in the budget right now either. More research is needed on my end - going to get lost in the search function
To get 4.10s is not a waste of time. When you get bigger tires latter, you'll be glad you have those gears. 33s and 3.07 don't mix well. They also shun 5th gear like a high school clique.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame0086 View Post
To get 4.10s is not a waste of time. When you get bigger tires latter, you'll be glad you have those gears. 33s and 3.07 don't mix well. They also shun 5th gear like a high school clique.
Fixing the frame, tightening the track bar on the rear and constructing a floor have don a lot to reduce the vibrations in this thing - it runs great and I actually though I was in a vehical today, not a rolling joke / death trap.

the yoke is suspect and it is hard having owned it for only a week and a half to judge all the new noises and those that are rapidly dissapearing as I fix / repair all the things that had been negleted for soooooo long with the jeep.

I like it - I'm caught between keeping it and selling it for a quick profit - not easy to do with a jeep - but I got a great deal on it and I really haven't put any substantial money into it - replacing the axel will be a "only if necessary item", then it will be the 4.10's for the front or a front axel as well.

Currently using it as a DD - once I'm happy with how it is I will put a FS sign in it and see if I get any bites - no rush - but it is a 5th vehical, 4 of wich are mine, and the wife will not drive any of the 4 (mabey the truck in a pinch), but she can't drive a stick to save her life and the only place on the HD for her is on the BACK!

I would not want to sell something that will destruct on the new owner 24 hrs latter, so I'm fixin it up, of course - the min she is gone, I'll wish I hadn't sold it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.