Four Wheel Drive /D30 Problems Help Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Four Wheel Drive /D30 Problems Help Needed

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Wookiekrisps
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Four Wheel Drive /D30 Problems Help Needed

My 4WD seems to be not working and I am looking for some tricks to find out exactly what the problem is. Here is what I have done

(I have a posi lock installed)
Put the Jeep into 4wd High, lay off the clutch a little bit to let it roll and pull the Posi Lock to lock the collar in. I get out and the front drive shaft will only move a few Centimeters. (So we are good there right?!...no)

I took it to a gravel lot the other day to burn the tires out so I could see the front wheels turn. well the 8.8 in the rear is working bc I see both tire marks in the rocks. but I never see any from the front. Also I sometimes get a really loud pop/banging noise coming from the front axle.

My question is How can I test the front to make sure its working/not working.

I am about to go lift the front up and spin the tires but I don't know exactly what I am looking for here.

Thanks

Wookiekrisps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you either need to adjust your PosiLok or you got some gears missing teeth in your D30. Check your axle splines as well. If you dont have a front locker, the right side where the collar resides, the outer hub and the chunk is where you need to look. Look at Ujoints as well.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What he said. Give it a good once over and if you think something looks bad but aren't sure, post a picture and we'll help
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

id pull the diff cover and see how it looks inside. you will end up INSIDE THERE ANY WAY.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Wookiekrisps
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks for the replys

I am going to take some pictures and post.
Wookiekrisps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Burnouts are not the way to test it.

Get the front end up on some jackstands. You'll be able to tell what's happening with the CAD. You might have a broken shift fork if it's still the OEM aluminum.

I usually test mine by driving it on pavement. Put it in 4WD, turn the steering wheel, and drive a short distance. You'll know immediately if it is locked in. Not everyone would recommend that, and you can damage things. As soon as you feel the first kickback from the U-joints, pull it out of 4WD. Test over. Nothing damaged.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.