Fouled Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fouled Plugs

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 05-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fouled Plugs

I am fouling plugs pretty quickly. What do these pictures mean to anybody?

img_0361.jpg   img_0362.jpg   img_0363.jpg  
Unread 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am no engine expert nor can help with a cause but it looks lean to me. Plug is getting to hot.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am running a TFI with 12 volts to the coil. The ignition module is still stock voltage (use old coil (+) to trigger a relay for 12 volt coil voltage). Is this too much for the stock plugs? I bought some $7 each plugs which are warrantied, Autolite Iridium or something like that. Fouled Bosch Platinums and Champion Copper.
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't laugh, but best luck I have ever had with plugs were the $.99 Champions or NGKs. I ran them with points as well as an MSD Digital 6 ign and they never failed me.

Check the temperature range the store gave you and ensure they didn't give you 'hotter' plugs.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is the second set this has happened to. Temperature wise you are thinking the plugs are runnig too hot so they are burning up? Or I need cooler plugs so they won't make as much heat?
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It looks to me (and I am no expert) that you might want to try cooler plugs. Just 1 step down I think. I know Toyotas and Subarus tend to like 1 step hotter...

Just my $.02
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The wires on the distributor pick up were cooked and one had welded itself to the base of the distributor. I think thi will cure this weird fouling issue.
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That looks like ash on the insulators, running the correct heat range keeps the plugs clean but burning oil leaves behind ash deposits like you are seeing. Are you using oil? What is your compression? Is your PCV system functioning correctly?

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.