Forum Search With Google - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Forum Search With Google

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forum Search With Google

I just figued out a little enhancement to limit the search to just the YJ Forum using google. Use the following and then leave a space then what you are searching for in the google search window:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12

You get this:

https://www.google.com/#q=site:jeepf...%2Fforum%2Ff12

at the end of the f12 leave a space and add whatever term you are looking for in the google search window.

You can select images at the top of the Google search page and it will give you images for what ever you are searching for.

It helps you keep it forum specific. Remove the /f12 and it will search the entire jeep forum. I hope it helps people find the info on the board a little easier.

Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I just figued out a little enhancement to limit the search to just the YJ Forum using google. Use the following and then leave a space then what you are searching for in the google search window:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12

It helps you keep it forum specific. Remove the /f12 and it will search the entire jeep forum. I hope it helps people find the info on the board a little easier.
very cool, thanks for sharing, I think if some people knew a little more, we wouldn't get so many of the same questions answered over and over, but then again, I dig it when I know the answer.
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
remmons
Web Wheeler
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the info! I am one of those guys who are computer illiterate. What I know has come from discovery and first-hand experience.

Not long ago, I learned to hold and type control+F to filter out a particular search, i.e. YJ for example. It gets easier when I learn the basics and start learning more of the complicated stuff.

2002 Liberty Sport 3.7. 2.5" lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought I would bump this to help people search the forum a little easier. This really does a good job and you can use the images search to look at pics for topics as well.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I thought I would bump this to help people search the forum a little easier. This really does a good job and you can use the images search to look at pics for topics as well.
Excellent technique, I been using it for years. You can also search here and simply type the domain name you want to search in the "Search within a site or domain:" field.

Google Advanced Search
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can also make a FireFox dynamic bookmark to simplify this even more:

Code:
Name: JF Custom Search
URL:http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...3bd06890d983fd
Keyword: jf
Sorry, I can't get the forum to display the literal text, it converts it to URL. just hover over it, or right click the link and click COPY LINK.

The '%s' in the URL is a variable for anything following the keyword.

To search jeepforum/f12, all i do is type
jf my search
jf best springs
jf why no flex?

etc... in the address bar of firefox, regardless on what page I'm currently viewing.
Instant jeepforum.com/f12 search

I have another one for jeep forum classifieds called jfc, and many more for other sites I frequent.

and it comes up with the google custom search results.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That method of searching is so much more effecient than the forum search! Thanks for the info.

I use Firefox. What's a dynamic bookmark?
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
That method of searching is so much more effecient than the forum search! Thanks for the info.

I use Firefox. What's a dynamic bookmark?
Its just a bookmark using the special firefox '%s' variable so that the bookmark is no longer just static, but dynamically loads a page using the terms following the bookmark keyword.

follow the directions and give it a try!
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does chrome have a dynamic book mark? Haha.
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not really the same in chrome. A workaround is to set up new search providers and you can customize the search URL for those
http://lifehacker.com/5476033/how-to...-google-chrome
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
remmons
Web Wheeler
2002 KJ Liberty 

I haven't had much problems searching for what I have wanted to find, but this little bit of info will streamline my searches to make then a little more effective when I am searching for something specific.

2002 Liberty Sport 3.7. 2.5" lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.