Former member, back again under a new name, with a carb question - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgebs69

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
cgebs69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Former member, back again under a new name, with a carb question

Howdy everybody. Been a long time. I was formerly known as Rproject, but for some reason I can't get that username to work anymore. So I'm back, with username cgebs69.

I have an 87 Laredo with a fresh 4.2 in it. My previous 4.2 gave up the ghost last year and for a multitude of reasons, a new motor wasn't able to be put in to my rig until now. Here's what was done:

- new HEI distributor
- donor intake/exhaust manifold from an 86 4.2
- donor pulleys and brackets from and 86 4.2 in order to delete the a/c compressor
- wiring clean up from previous nutter bypass and ICM/ECM delete with the new distributor
- migration of MC2150 from my motor to the new 4.2
- oil pan from donor 86 4.2 (mine had a hole in it from the rod that it threw last year. LOL)
- New belts, hoses, plugs, wires (8mm)
- timing to 9 degrees

So here's the deal. My mechanic got it running. Beautifully. He drove it 15 miles to my place. I drove him back to his. Everything was good to go. Ran a few errands including a bath for the Jeep, fresh gas and a few other things. Still, all good. Went out for a gentle run in the country to stretch its legs after sitting for a year. After about 45 minutes and 40 miles, started to get a hesitation when turning. Then a hesitation when giving it gas. Had to double tap the gas pedal to keep it from bogging down. Died on me a couple times. One time I couldn't get it to restart. My buddy dragged it back to my mechanic's with me. He jumped on the gas pedal a couple times and it started and has started without touching the gas pedal every time since, BUT, it's still hesitating and wanting to die on turns. Only right hand turns, though.

My mechanic has opened up the carb and the float is working. The bowl is about 1/2 filled with gas. When the throttle is operated, it's squirting gas just fine. Pretty stumped at this point as to what is causing the starvation. Fuel? Air? Spark is definitely good. Fuel pressure is at 10psi. Fuel filter is clean as a whistle.

Thoughts from my carb brethren? Thanks.

Pic is of my rig. One of my favorites. It was taken by my, then, 11 year old daughter at The Badlands in Attica, Indiana.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome back!

You want 6 to7 psi.
I have the float adjusted to .875" wet.
The float level needs to be precise.
The wet fuel level must be higher than the power valve. I use this for checking wet levels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ler-93684.html

The motor must be warm at idle when the air horn is removed and measurement taken.
After each measurement, the air horn must be replaced (don't need to re-screw it though) and again removed, then next measurement taken.To adjust level, the needle tab is carefully bent.

Not sure why you have a regulator.
If you use a proper quality mechanical pump (I run a $50 Carter) with the right filter and return (keeping the return higher than the carb intake) the regulator is just an extra unnecessary part.

Timing:

I also have the CRT HEI and fresh rebuilt 258.
Timing is closer to 10* advance and the vac advance was also adjusted.
It had a hesitation at 8*.

It's a screamer now.
No dead zone and happily revs to redline.

Vacuum leaks really throw the whole thing off and are easy to miss.
I double checked with a can of starting fluid & found a slight intake leak. An extra 1/2 turn of the intake bolt took care of it.

I hate computer updates
post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not a carb guy, but do you have a dent in your gas tank skid plate? That would happen to me, until I got a new skid plate.

By the way, you should PM one of the mods here. They can help you with getting your old name back. We had a security breach a while back.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...

post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
cgebs69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Welcome back!

You want 6 to7 psi.
I have the float adjusted to .875" wet.
The float level needs to be precise.
The wet fuel level must be higher than the power valve. I use this for checking wet levels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ler-93684.html

The motor must be warm at idle when the air horn is removed and measurement taken.
After each measurement, the air horn must be replaced (don't need to re-screw it though) and again removed, then next measurement taken.To adjust level, the needle tab is carefully bent.

Not sure why you have a regulator.
If you use a proper quality mechanical pump (I run a $50 Carter) with the right filter and return (keeping the return higher than the carb intake) the regulator is just an extra unnecessary part.

Timing:

I also have the CRT HEI and fresh rebuilt 258.
Timing is closer to 10* advance and the vac advance was also adjusted.
It had a hesitation at 8*.

It's a screamer now.
No dead zone and happily revs to redline.

Vacuum leaks really throw the whole thing off and are easy to miss.
I double checked with a can of starting fluid & found a slight intake leak. An extra 1/2 turn of the intake bolt took care of it.
Thanks, Chris. Life threw me sideways for a while, but I'm back on top.

I don't have a regulator in the system. My mechanic put a pressure tester on the inbound fuel line, before the filter, and that's how he got the measurement. As for the other items, it makes sense to me. I'll be back at my mechanic's in a week or two and will have him check into the tweaks.
Chrisnvegas likes this.

87 YJ 2.5" suspension, 1.5" body lift
Built to do what I need it to do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.