Ford Taurus Wiring Solution (CHEAP) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford Taurus Wiring Solution (CHEAP)

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ford Taurus Wiring Solution (CHEAP)

After scouring the internet for ford taurus fan wiring i finally came upon a decent solution. I can't take credit for the design but I will explain it the best I can here. I also will pose a few questions and options to you all.

Apparently Volvos of various years used dual speed electric fans that were managed by a nifty little all inclusive relay, sensor controller and power input.

here is the part with some of the wiring from the donor vehicle

I actually picked up two of them because they were cheap and I found them.

One came from a 1992 Volvo 960 and was found behind the passenger headlight
The other came from a 1997 Volvo 850 and was on top inside of the passenger side of the fan shroud.
Other than wiring colors they are exactly the same as far as I can tell. I imagine these can be found on a wide range of volvo vehicles. If they have an electric fan just follow the wires from the fan motor back about 2-3 feet and you should find the relay/controller/power box thingy.

looking at the picture on the far left you have a green and red heavy gauge wire that will go out to your fan motor. I believe they are the same gauge so to which fan is up to you. On the far right you have a heavy gauge wire that will go to a heavy duty (75a-80a relay) then to the battery and to a switched power source.

Now here is where the options appear. I have drawn out what I believe to be the two best options.

Option ones utilizes two temperature sensors one to control the low speed and one to control the high speed. The question I have is what temperature settings should be utilized? I don't believe their should be overlap as running both high and low speed motors at the same time would burn them out quickly. Should their be a temperature gap between the temperature probe ranges (ie. low on at 185, off at 165, high on at 210 off at 185)? With this option I would have a simple on/off rocker switch on the dash that when in normal operation would be in one position but by switching it would cut power to the relay. An LED would indicate that the fan has been overrode and are off.

Option two utilizes only one temperature probe and a 30 amp bosch relay with 87 and 87a terminals. The normally closed circuit would be attached to the temperature probe the normally open circuit would be attached to the high speed trigger/sensor wire. This relay would then be run to the cab where a 3 position switch would control it, (down=normal operation based on temp, middle=off with LED indicator, up=high speed fan)

In the middle you have two small gauge trigger wires that will go sensors (these are low draw)

Unread 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
Option ones utilizes two temperature sensors one to control the low speed and one to control the high speed. The question I have is what temperature settings should be utilized? I don't believe their should be overlap as running both high and low speed motors at the same time would burn them out quickly.
I am very interested in seeing how this works out. AS for the temps say for a MPFI motor you would have a two stage temp sensor low speed on 210F high on 240F off 185F this is just a sample of the temps (I am still researching this myself) but the taurus is not a dual motor but a dual speed single motor. So it should only run on low or high but not both, to ease the power surge on the high speed amp draw it is easier on the system to have the low speed on first then ramp up to the high speed.

edit: do you have a link to the more details on this topic? I would like to read up more on this I am tired of seeing this taurus fan sitting under the work bench and I have an idea what direction I am already going to go, but you have now sparked my interest in this route before I make my final decision.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm...

subscribed. time to learn me some knowledge...

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah what he said

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The site I found the info on is very limited.

http://m.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=827375

Further down the page they discuss using the high input for vehicles with ac.

I will be utilizing the volvo part as it simplifies the wiring immensely. What I do as far as temp sensors and switches is still up in the air. Id prefer to have everything automated and have just the override switch in the cab. This would b a hat switch to prevent and accidental deactivation and thus overheating.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoadJPin View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah what he said

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
The site I found the info on is very limited.

http://m.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=827375

Further down the page they discuss using the high input for vehicles with ac
I can see that. The high speed kicking in is pretty common with AC vehicles. Would be a smart thing to do for AC installed wranglers utilizing the AC circuit to trigger the high speed (on board air setups as well that are using the york or saden compressors.).

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I read that thread not entirely as informative as I had hoped. I like the idea of this tidy little relay housing.

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said, it was rather lacking in information. I'd rely like to use the volvo part and figure out the triggers and temp probes
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would think the controller itself would have to shut the low side off at a certain temp, then turn the high side on.
Once the temp sensor turns on it will not shut itself off untill the temp is below the start up temp.
You can buy the sensors here.
www.hollisterroad.com
Another problem is where to put the sensors.
There are bungs in the passenger side of the block.
One is directly behind the motor mount and the other is behind the exhaust manifold.
I ended up using one of these for the high side and I run the low side all the time.
http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP40001
When you said the Volvos used a dual speed electric fans is that two fans or one like the Taurus fan?
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Single now that I think of it.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
NHfireYJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

hmmmm , Subscribed...
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Single now that I think of it.
Then I would think it would shut the low speed off and go to the high speed by itself.
Great thread!
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So to test this... I'm going to wire up the main power...the two fan.powers and jumper 12 volts to.the low speed fan sensor...then jumper 12 volts to the high speed sensor and probe the power wire to the low speed fan and.see if power is still flowing through. This sound like a reasonable course of action?
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The way I understand the issue with the Taurus fan is the power spike it causes on startup.
So, to stop that power spike on startup, the fan needs to ramp up. It needs to start at 0 rpm and speed up slower than on/off to full speed. Or even better- only spin as fast as needed to cool to the temp set, say 1/4 speed, or high speed.
And one needs to be able to turn off the fan for deep water crossings(if that is in the jeeps future, if not, not an issue).

I will be interested to see this work.

I, BTW, use the DCC controller for my fan. It does the ramp up, but is NOT cheap.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.