Ford Taurus engine fan change questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford Taurus engine fan change questions.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
alva_street
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ford Taurus engine fan change questions.

Hi all,

I have been reading about people changing the engine fan for a Ford Taurus. I have a few questions (sorry I'm a newbie and might seem basic to most):
Does the fan effect the ac, does it make it any colder? Will it even fit into a 4l YJ with aircon? Apart from the fan what other parts do I need, do I need to change anything to run it?

I have moved to the UAE where it is like living on the sun, but my Jeep is from Japan so the aircon isn't really up to the heat. I have been toying with the idea of trying to do this myself but I'm worry I might do something wrong so friendly garage down the road hopefully can help.

Thanks in advance.

alva_street is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The air conditioning radiator should be completely out of the way of the fan. The pump won't interfere with it either.

You see how big the fan shroud is? It fits in there and frees up more room. And no it shouldn't affect the AC at all, should run like normal. It should free up some horsepower that is sucked away from the clutch fan, and it should quiet the engine up too.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you go this route you might want to hook up the fan to run all the time when the A/C is on. You need to pull air in all the time to cool the refrigerant when it's going through the condenser. Of course if you have it setup this way you might want to upgrade your electrical system to handle the extra load. You could also put a smaller pusher fan in front of the condenser and wire it to run all the time when the A/C is on, a smaller one that doesn't suck up as much juice.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The fan will have to be cut down to fit between the radiator and engine.
Upgraded alternator is not a bad idea.
I have been running a Taurus fan for a number of years just hooked up to a relay, fuse and toggle switch.
I run it all the time.
I have been looking at this kit, and probably will install it this winter, it will start your fan on low and step up as the engine requires more cooling.
It also has a option for the fan to turn on all the time when the air conditioning is running.
I think with this kit you may not have to upgrade the alternator.
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
The fan will have to be cut down to fit between the radiator and engine.
Upgraded alternator is not a bad idea.
I have been running a Taurus fan for a number of years just hooked up to a relay, fuse and toggle switch.
I run it all the time.
I have been looking at this kit, and probably will install it this winter, it will start your fan on low and step up as the engine requires more cooling.
It also has a option for the fan to turn on all the time when the air conditioning is running.
I think with this kit you may not have to upgrade the alternator.
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
That's a pretty sweet kit. I'd consider that one over my current system.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
alva_street
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the advice, I'll be fan hunting as from next week.
alva_street is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.