Ford HP D44 and 9" Rear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford HP D44 and 9" Rear

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed! The little blue guy is the "well there's an idea!" guy... You are 100% correct in your reasoning lol.

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Agreed! The little blue guy is the "well there's an idea!" guy... You are 100% correct in your reasoning lol.
Lol i Know..I just see so many people say the same ole"the only reason a 9" ford is popular is because of the aftermarket availability"...lol..that statement couldn't be further from the truth .....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Lol i Know..I just see so many people say the same ole"the only reason a 9" ford is popular is because of the aftermarket availability"...lol..that statement couldn't be further from the truth .....
Yeah JF has always been a little hostile to the ford 9" for some reason, I've been watching the forum for MUCH longer than i've been a member and every time someone brings up the 9" someone brings up a statement claming a 9" will break just like any other axle... I usually stay quiet but it's hard to stay quiet with the years of experience i've had with them lol.

I think the hostility on JF comes from the fact that the ford 8.8 axle swap is so unbelievably popular. Not shunning the 8.8 swap, it works great, comes with disc brakes, decent (but expensive) aftermarket support, 4.10 gears, and easy to find... HOWEVER, it doesnt mean there arn't stronger candidates out there. There are definatly people on the forum who turn their nose up to any axle other than the 8.8... I see it on JF more than the other forums I cruize lol. It's the 8.8 forum!
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah JF has always been a little hostile to the ford 9" for some reason, I've been watching the forum for MUCH longer than i've been a member and every time someone brings up the 9" someone brings up a statement claming a 9" will break just like any other axle... I usually stay quiet but it's hard to stay quiet with the years of experience i've had with them lol.

I think the hostility on JF comes from the fact that the ford 8.8 axle swap is so unbelievably popular. Not shunning the 8.8 swap, it works great, comes with disc brakes, decent (but expensive) aftermarket support, 4.10 gears, and easy to find... HOWEVER, it doesnt mean there arn't stronger candidates out there. There are definatly people on the forum who turn their nose up to any axle other than the 8.8... I see it on JF more than the other forums I cruize lol. It's the 8.8 forum!
Me hostile toward the 9" ford? LMAO, everyone here knows how much i hate the 9" ford " Rear Axle: 9" Ford, trussed, shaved, detroit locker with Moser shafts, Nodular case" . Not hostile at the 9 at all, just the 28 splines. Because i KNOW their limitations from experience. Drag racing and wheeling are two different beasts when it comes to stress on the shafts. I dont believe anything was said about the center sections. Facts are they dont hold and if you do anything other than mall crawl and play in the sand a little, your going to snap those 28 splines with your 36s. Ive broken 28 spline stockers yukons mosers all with a non modified, non "fogged" normally aspirated tired old tbi 2.5. If your going to go to the trouble of swapping in a 9" upgrade it to 31 spline at least. It doesnt cost much more at all in hindsight. You hats can crack all the jokes you want, but i will call you on your mighty BA 28 spline 9" ford every time. They are not worth wasting your time.

Quote:
I would say he would be VERY hard pressed to break a ford 9", expecially when you can stand a vehicle on 38's on two wheels with 28 spline shafts..
Absolute B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?

Last edited by MLJeeper; 04-26-2010 at 01:37 PM..
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

31 spline chromo on the left, factory 28 spline on the right.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rear should be a straight forward swap, that 79 Bronco front end... not so much. If these guys are right, that axle has the cast in wedges, not the welded on ones. I have a 76 f150 front end that had weld on wedges, came off easily with a cut off wheel.

The Driver Side Differential Dana 44
Dana 44 Solid Front Axle: Reverse Spiral and Standard Housing info..*

This is assuming that you want to run leafs in the front and not the ford radius arms....

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Me hostile toward the 9" ford? LMAO, everyone here knows how much i hate the 9" ford " Rear Axle: 9" Ford, trussed, shaved, detroit locker with Moser shafts, Nodular case" . Not hostile at the 9 at all, just the 28 splines. Because i KNOW their limitations from experience. Drag racing and wheeling are two different beasts when it comes to stress on the shafts. I dont believe anything was said about the center sections. Facts are they dont hold and if you do anything other than mall crawl and play in the sand a little, your going to snap those 28 splines with your 36s. Ive broken 28 spline stockers yukons mosers all with a non modified, non "fogged" normally aspirated tired old tbi 2.5. If your going to go to the trouble of swapping in a 9" upgrade it to 31 spline at least. It doesnt cost much more at all in hindsight. You hats can crack all the jokes you want, but i will call you on your mighty BA 28 spline 9" ford every time. They are not worth wasting your time.

Absolute B.S.
Ummmm..ANY 28 spline in ANY rear is a weaker "axle shaft",so where's the 9" ford come into play as being "they are not worth wasting your time"?

In any situation with any rear being swapped into something for an up grade..as i already stated ONCE,99% of the time gears and axles will be swapped anyhow..so just get bigger and stronger axles and more spline count.

Are you comparing the 9" housing to a dana 70?..or the corporate 14?..etc?

That's like comparing a John Deere Riding mower to a Cat bulldozer.....lol

The ford 9" has proved itself over and over to be a VERY superior setup for it's size and weight,and being so adaptable to so many different applications..well....i've said enough.

This "hats" has said enough on this subject..lol on you're adventures

78 ford 9" rear,lasted 3 seasons of Pro Mud Bogging in Cobbstown mud bogging,3 time champ..454 with a shot of nitrous..if you've ever been a SERIOUS mud bogging event,you'd know the abuse those things take..wonder what size tires these are?...

He has since rolled that down a bank into a river on a trail in Coopersville Ga into the Ogeechee river...that same exact"junk" 9" rear was so much "junk"..he's putting it under his next rig for offroad use only....

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with most everything you said above. I never said the 9" ford is junk, i said the 28 spline shafts are junk.

My issue with Apollos is hes touting the strength of the 28 spline, mainly because hes already bought a 28 spline detroit for it and hes already into it some coin. So he wants it to be superaxle. Im sorry, it simply wont be. I wasted ALOT of cash trying to get 28 spline to hold up to just 35s. It wont fly. I learned the hard way, hate when others have to. Ive beaten the piss out of the 31 splines with zero issues for over a year now.

You running wheel adapters on that truck?

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Last edited by MLJeeper; 04-26-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #24
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with most everything you said above. I never said the 9" ford is junk, i said the 28 spline shafts are junk.

My issue with Apollos is hes touting the strength of the 28 spline, mainly because hes already bought a 28 spline detroit for it and hes already into it some coin. So he wants it to be superaxle. Im sorry, it simply wont be. I wasted ALOT of cash trying to get 28 spline to hold up to just 35s. It wont fly. I learned the hard way, hate when others have to. Ive beaten the piss out of the 31 splines with zero issues for over a year now.

You running wheel adapters on that truck?
I'm already saving up for a 31 spline setup anyway, you assume too much by previous threads. I found out a few days ago that the outer flange of the 28 spline shafts I have were bent by a wreck the previous owner had gotten into without telling me. So my 28 spline shafts are on their way out as I have currie custom 31 spline shafts on their way at the moment. Got to wait a week to get the 31 spline detroit.

So chill on directly calling me out, my posts weren't really directly joking about you in the first place, quit being so sensative. I was arguing about JF being against the ford 9" swap AS A WHOLE, not specifically to you and your unbelievable anger toward 28 spline shafts. Ironworker and myself were simply ranting about the benefits of a ford 9" AS A WHOLE above some of the other popular axle swaps out there... You simply cannot tell me that a 28 spline ford 9" isn't better then say... a super 35...

I don't intend to argue that a 28 spline axle shaft will hold up the same as a 31 spline, despite how much I wished it would have a few weeks ago before I bought the 28 spline detroit lol, but nothing I can do about that now. Yes the 31 spline pwns the 28 spline, but the 28 spline still detroys many other axle swap options out there. That was the ONLY point I was trying to make.

On that note, PLEASE explain to me, USING MY DIRECT QUOTE BELOW that you so hastily QUOTED IN YOUR DIRECT REPLY TO ME... Tell me where I mention that 28 spline's are the **** and 28 spline's stand along side 31?

Quote:
Quote:
So, dude, lets lay down the freaking guns and ammo for a bit, and agree that the ford 9" is a viable, non-overly complicated axle swap that can be done in close to the same time as some of the other swaps out there, offers supperior strenth to the stock setup, and has tons of aftermark support...

Seriously, a fellow ford 9" enthusiast I can't believe your up in arms over the difference between 28 and 31 slines so much... I know you dumped some money into the 28 spline shafts so I'll assume your just trying to save other's the trouble, but seriously the whole conversation wasn't directed at you. Maybe it was at first, but quickly moved on and had nothing to do with 28 vs 31 within the ford 9" realm.

Last edited by Apollo12227; 04-26-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ChicagoYJ. I'm right now doing the very same swap. 9" rear and D44 front from a Bronco; I have no clue what year, But what I do know that it is at 65" WMS. So here is what I've come to. The 9" pumpkin is longer in the pinion. So I...a.) have to shorten the driveshaft or b.) push the axle back a few inches for a longer wheel base. I haven't really dedicated much to JF but asking hundreds of questions and as of last week started to take the axles off from a rusted frame. I don't think there are many who have the 9" rear. The one guy I did ask questions about...He had it done professionally or by a shop (not always considered 'Professional'). If your doing the same thing I am doing at the same time, then If there's anything I run into I'll message you with the problems. Oh and P.S. This is the first time doing anything like this so don't count me as a knowledgeable know how like most on these forums.
KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #26
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not to steal the thread.. but what year bronco will you find the hp 44/ford 9 full width?

Seems like a pretty cool combo. good thread

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #27
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej03 View Post
Not to steal the thread.. but what year bronco will you find the hp 44/ford 9 full width?

Seems like a pretty cool combo. good thread
78-79...the bronco in those 2 years shared the same axles as the F series trucks,and from what i've seen they had the HP dana 44,so you can get the same exact axles from an F150,,not sure about the fulls size F series 4x4's earlier then 78 though,,someone else may know more about them..i dealt with alot of early broncos myself and a few 78-79 my buddy's have had,i do know the from 66-77 they were all low pinion front axles..they had a dana 30 from 66 to somewhere around 72,then the dana 44's there after.

Never forget 9/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.