Ford HP D44 and 9" Rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford HP D44 and 9" Rear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ford HP D44 and 9" Rear

Hi Fellas,
Any one running this set up? I have a chance to pick this up for a good price and would like to know besides changing perches what else do I need to do to make it work.

It has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern which is not a problem for me since I have an extra set of wheels with that pattern sitting in the basement. It has the drivers side drop which I know is what I need.

I was looking for an XJ D44 but no luck, then I came across this.

I currently have the DTurdy5 on and just went up from 3.07 to 4.10 to only have the damn thing start to grind itself in less than two weeks.
After the thing grenaded itself a week before putting the 4.10s in.

I don't want to spend not another cent on the 35, even though the 4.10 were free. Yes I changed the gears in the front too.

Any pointers, I did search but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Yea I know Google is my friend, but I like you guys better.

Ricky

ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i know a guy who did it in a tj. worked well. that is a real bada** combo, and i wouldnt see that you would have much problem. the only thing that might put up a fight is the drivers front spring perch, as with the wider center section you may not be able to get the perch close enough to center. possibly an offset perch would fix that, or maybe you would have to outboard the springs. idk. the next thing is the full width, is it going to be legal in your state with the axles being so much wider?

i would give you a though, if you did it.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your goal is 35" to 37" tires, that combo will work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just completed the ford 9" swap to my rear end and I'm pretty happy with it... Ford 8.8 disc brakes practically bolt on lol... As for full width the the 9" and d44 were out of an old bronco then width won't be a problem lol but were the old broncos even high pinion? Anywhoo you will be hard pressed to break that setup with any sized tire, my buddy walked his jeep with a 350 on two wheels and it didn't break lol. (the 9")
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No the 44s in the early broncos were not HPs. Yes a 9" ford will break. The beauty of the 9" ford is the aftermarket for them is awesome. If money is no object they can be built to Dana 60 strength. At least the 9" out of the full size will be 31 spline. Should be able to run upto 37s reliably on that.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the next thing is the full width, is it going to be legal in your state with the axles being so much wider?
We have the tire coverage law here, but I'm not worried about that I'm in Chicago and the law here could careless. They got more serious things to worry about. Chicago police are pretty much offroader friendly.
Suburbs and State is another thing.

Extended fender flares will take care of that.

Quote:
If your goal is 35" to 37" tires, that combo will work well.
I'm currently running 33" and planning to go 35", don't know if I want to go 37". But ya never know.

Quote:
As for full width the the 9" and d44 were out of an old bronco then width won't be a problem lol but were the old broncos even high pinion?
It's coming out of an 79 Bronco. It does have the high pinion according to to guy I'm buying it from.

It has a quad shock setup though. 1 shock on each side of the coil spring.
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hopefully its a high pinon, i assumed it was, but i know better than to assume... HP is good...

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoYJ View Post
It's coming out of an 79 Bronco. It does have the high pinion according to to guy I'm buying it from.
When we say early bronco, were referring to the small jeep sized broncos from the late 60s and early 70s.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, we all know what happen when you assume.

Yea I won't know till I actually look at it. Keeping the fingers crossed though.
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When we say early bronco, were referring to the small jeep sized broncos from the late 60s and early 70s.
Gotcha. There's some real nice ones running around here in Chicago. Don't look like they get offroaded though. Actually have a friend of a friend who has one. Pretty much garage kept.
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
66-77 to be exact...78-79 had the full width,they shared the same driveline and axles as the full size F series,..80 and up went to the IFS front

I have a 66 and a 72

If looking to use these axles for the jeep,if they can be found,the 76-77 were the best options because the 9" rears were the big bearing and the front dana 44's were the power disk brakes.

I have a set from a 76,been contemplating putting the set under my YJ when i do a V8 swap,or 8.8 rear and mod and beef the dana 30 front to keep the lug pattern since a dana 44 really isn't that much beefier to a dana 30 and i won't be running more than a 33 tire on this rig anyhow

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
No the 44s in the early broncos were not HPs. Yes a 9" ford will break.
Of course they "can break" but to be honest if he isn't going to be running 35+ tires or anything above a stock motor it is VERY unlikely. I have worked around Orlando Speed World for years and i've only seen a couple explode but only on 800+ horsepower aplications. "Technically" the Nodular ford 9" chunk is rated for one thousand horsepower while the standard case could easily handle 600. Heck, the cars around here have fogger kits on their cars lol, if it can handle a fogger, it can handle a jeep 4.2L.

So with dana 60-like strenth I would say he would be VERY hard pressed to break a ford 9", expecially when you can stand a vehicle on 38's on two wheels with 28 spline shafts... I doubt the OP will be doing this on a daily basis.
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Of course they "can break" but to be honest if he isn't going to be running 35+ tires or anything above a stock motor it is VERY unlikely. I have worked around Orlando Speed World for years and i've only seen a couple explode but only on 800+ horsepower aplications. "Technically" the Nodular ford 9" chunk is rated for one thousand horsepower while the standard case could easily handle 600. Heck, the cars around here have fogger kits on their cars lol, if it can handle a fogger, it can handle a jeep 4.2L.

So with dana 60-like strenth I would say he would be VERY hard pressed to break a ford 9", expecially when you can stand a vehicle on 38's on two wheels with 28 spline shafts... I doubt the OP will be doing this on a daily basis.
Well said..and the reason for the big aftermarket for the 9" is not because they are weak, its because they are VERY strong and durable right from the factory and people still use them..over and over.
Unfortunetly because of how popular and useful they are,it's getting harder and harder to find them

99% of the time when someone is using a ford 9",they are going to regear to suite their needs/application anyhow,so just go with the better axles and more splines for bigger tires anyhow.

I ran a 9" straight out from under a 71 bronco with 4:11's and added a spool under a 89 stang notchback for a several years with a 500 horse 351w W/150 horse shot of nitrous....my brother still has the same rear sitting in his garage after i wrecked the stang into a ditch years ago ready for another donor.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Well said..and the reason for the big aftermarket for the 9" is not because they are weak, its because they are VERY strong and durable right from the factory and people still use them..over and over.
Wait, so there is nearly unlimited aftermarket support for the ford 9" BECAUSE it's strong? ....... Now that friend, was well said.

Not only are the parts easy to get, every single part ever made for the ford 9" is easily found, unlimited information online about the axles, etc.. But I would argue there is no better axle to learn how to regear than the ford 9"... Because of the ability to pull the entire setup out and set it on a bench to regear it, it doesnt use carrier shims at all (much less BEHIND THE DAMN carrier bearings like on the dana30) but rather threaded shims you simply screw in and out, and a simple crush sleeve.

I suppose if you were REALLY worried about breaking it... It would be easy to carry two spare shafts along with you... "BUT WHAT IF YOU STRIP THE RING GEAR?!" you ask? Well, carry a spare third member with you and you can swap in new gears and new shafts in under an hour.
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

lol..ummm..YES..if it wasn't strong..people wouldn't be using them under several different make vehicles with SERIOUS HP and torque.
THATS what made the 9" so pupular,if they were weak,they would have not have the BIG aftermarket because they wouldn't sell ....it's really a no brainer...
The aftermarket is there because of so many different applications they can be used for because of it's "STRENGTH" right from the factory setup,the big aftermarket for them was started AFTER everyone found out how stout they are and so many uses,it was needed to fit different applications they were being used for.

Never forget 9/11

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.