Ford 9" options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 9" options

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-26-2001, 10:53 AM   #1
rayray

Ford 9" options

By a miracle of some chance, last night I aquired a 9". However, I would like to upgrade the axle shafts. Currently, they are the 27 spline counts. I know I can go up to a 31 spline Moser, but are there any other options available? Additionaly, does anyone have any other issues about 9"er's. Thanks. This is going under a YJ of course

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2001, 11:58 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what modifications have to be made to the housing itself, but there are 35 spline shafts for a 9" and... get this... 40 spline shafts available. The only locker option available for the 40 splines is a spool. But with 40 spline, so. The 40 spline shaft is built by one of the Early Bronco suppliers. But I don't remember who they were. They had the shafts on display at the Cal 4Wheel convention, man they are absolutely monsters. If you're serious about replacing the shafts, contact Rick Boiros at rboiros@yahoo.com and I'm quite sure he can answer your questions very specifically.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
rayray

Thanks for the info Matt. Do you happen to know if there is a Detroit available for the 35 spline shaft? They seem to be readily available. And since I haven't broke my 30 spline, that seems like a reasonable solution.

rayray
Unread 04-26-2001, 07:48 PM   #4
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, I thought the smaller 9" was the 28 spline? Did you miss one? From what I've heard you can get the third member off of a Ford F series to get the larger 35 spline carrier. Then all you have to do is get the shafts cut down. I haven't looked into it much but that's what I was told.

I'd like to find a Ford 9: from a Grand Marquis or Town car from the 70-80's for the 28 spline 9" wuth disks and 60" width. I'd keep it as a spare to my D44.
Unread 04-26-2001, 11:33 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by rayray:
Thanks for the info Matt. Do you happen to know if there is a Detroit available for the 35 spline shaft? They seem to be readily available. And since I haven't broke my 30 spline, that seems like a reasonable solution.
Jeff will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive the Detroit is available for the 35 spline and I'm not positive, but I think the ARB might be available too.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2001, 03:30 AM   #6
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, I'm looking around in some catalogs and I think I'm wrong on the spline count of the F150's. One catalog says 31 spline, not 35. I know they have Detroits for both 28 and 31 though. Don't want to be spreading the wrong info now.

I find listings for a 35 spline for the Powertrax but not the Detroit. I'm sure they do make them since Currie uses Detroits in their FireAnt and the older TJ. I just checked Currie's site and they so list a Detroit available with their 35 spline Ford 9" axles.
Unread 04-27-2001, 02:20 PM   #7
rayray

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess some lucky person will buy my d35 and the 9" project will begin. I guess it's time to start bugging the younger's about a new diff cage

rayray

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.