Ford 9 inch vs dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 9 inch vs dana 44

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
stokesj19
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 9 inch vs dana 44

Which would you preffer for a back axle. I was told that a 9 inch was the equivilant to a d60.

stokesj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

prolly the ford 9 cause it would be easy to get a matching front 44 (or build a 609 up front) and the removeable 3rd member would be nice
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's somewhat close but I know more people who's destroyed a 9".. 3 times in one day.. than I do with 60s.
Also, 9"ers like to leak from axle seals. New seals leak.. Putting RTV on the flanges, still leaks.. Putting new seals and RTVing the flanges, still leak.. New seals, RTV, and flange seals and it usually still leaks. Usually the leaks occur within the same day to a few months depending on your method of a fix..

Now, I know of a couple who haven't had any problems, but you still have to deal with the press on bearings whenever the time comes, kinda fun when you don't have a press..

Personally, I'd go with a 60. They're the same price anyway. May be a bit bigger, but deffinately easier to deal with.

Zane Neher
88 YJ. H.O. 4.0L/AW4/twin sticked d300/1 tons/38.5s.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is like compairing a run down apartment to a 500k house. The people who live in run down apartments are the ones who can't aforad the house.

A real question would be 9in vs D60, or D44 vs 8.8 (which has already been extensively discussed).

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

9" is cheaper to upgrade to bullet proof in my opinion. However the lower pinion is kinda hard on jeeps with stock wheelbase.

Dana 60 is overkill for the great majority of people.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

A big consideration in a 9" vs D60 debate is pinion location.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just realized he was comparing to a 44..

I'd get a 9".

Zane Neher
88 YJ. H.O. 4.0L/AW4/twin sticked d300/1 tons/38.5s.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, I just put this on another thread about a day ago: close to 500K on my dana ft and ford 9' on an f-150. I dread saying it-- but it went for at LEAST 200,000 miles before its first fluid change. Has seen a LOT of off road and Highway miles...not too many in city and they've held up well, but figuring the 9" in the back "runs" all the time and the front one only off road--> I think I'd say a 9" hands down.

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I really think a 9" as a builder axle. Can it be way stronger than a D44, of course. Can it be weaker in some cases, yes!. Really it depends on which ford 9" you get. If you have a non-nodular iron 3rd members, you can blow the third member apart with as little as 31" tires and lockers. It can be an easy fix though with just picking the right 9" from the bone yard. And really the stock 31" spline really aren't the strongest either. The stamped steel housing really can flex alot.

With that being said, I would love to have a trussed 9" stuffed with a truehi9 third member, a 35" spline locker, and 35 spline alloys.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

9" all the way. Can be built to be as strong as a 60.

I'd build mine shaved, braced top & back and built with a Moser 3rd, 35 spl Detroit Locker, D70 tubes, spindles 35 spl shafts and FF hubs.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know a guy who just built one just like that. Except he used sterling spindles and hubs. It's bad!

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd use the D70 stuff because I can get a D70 for about what I could sell the gears on ebay for, and because the splines match those of a 9" detroit.

Got any pics of how your friend build his? What did he use to align the housing?

The parts I can come up with easily, I just don't have a lathe to make the alignment tools with.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get the 9-inch just because it's so much easier to set up ring and pinion gears. Also, the steel housing makes it much more convenient to weld on trusses, etc.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
9" all the way. Can be built to be as strong as a 60. .
can be built stronger. 60s are not the end-all axle the internet makes them out to be.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
I'd use the D70 stuff because I can get a D70 for about what I could sell the gears on ebay for, and because the splines match those of a 9" detroit.

Got any pics of how your friend build his? What did he use to align the housing?

The parts I can come up with easily, I just don't have a lathe to make the alignment tools with.
He just used the sterling because that's what he had laying around. I don't have any pics, but i can ask him about what he did to align the housing.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Hokie_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.