Ford 9" Axle Truss Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 9" Axle Truss Question...

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 9" Axle Truss Question...

So.... I'm wanting to truss my 9" but I don't feel like trying to fab one up (as the metal shops in my part of florida are out of their minds in price) so I found this $44.00 deal on ebay and it seems like it would do the job and you cant beat the price. Just wondering what you guys think (strength-wise) and they are 1/8th btw, I can always add alittle more metal but this would give me a great base to start with.

Most of the time when I see a trussed axle it is trussed on the top so that the rear diff cover can come off, in the case of my ford 9" there is no rear diff cover, so is trusting the axle housing in this way efficient? Meaning, am I going to keep the tubes from bending or flexing when offroading with it welded to the back of the housing vs to the top? I'm only asking because it is advertised for high horspower aplications, in my case, i'm not dealing with HP as much as I am bouncing off things in the woods... Will a truss on the back of the housing work for our heeping purposes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-inch-ford-housing-back-brace-rear-truss-support-/260734497905?pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item3c b4fcb471

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the ford 9" is trussed on the back like that because thats where it needs it... having narrowed 9'' housings when there gutted you should see how much flex they have horizontally (they can be tricky to get into the jig)

if you really wanted to you could truss your diff vertically and horizontally

how much room do you have behind your diff will this truss hit your tank?
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You may wanna checkout Dan's new Ruffstuff 9" truss in the vendors section. His products are nothing shy of outstanding IMHO.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/n...truss-1289322/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

What he said ^^^^^

Look at the differences between the two designs. Then consider the market the two vendors are aiming at.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll have a look at the truss you guys mentioned. I have a fuel cell in the back of heep so there is no gas tank to worry about under the jeep.

Thanks guys I'll have a look at the other design.
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I"m liking his design for sure. He mentions they are working on a top truss as well, I'm wondering if it's because it is needed as well? So should I wait and run the top one? It just seems to me most of the force would be in an upward direction on the axle as opposed to towards the front or back. I love the way the back brace truss looks I just want to make sure that a back brace will get the job done as I would prefer not to run both.
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I guess my question can be put more simply lol. If you had a ford 9" would you run a back brace, a top truss, or both. I imagine a back and top truss would look like overkill.
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am running a 9 inch with no truss. I have not had any problems with it.
If I was to truss it I would do the one in the back.
I would amagine the top one would be more for linking the rear.
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks TSE, much appreciated. My housing isnt the famously weak mustang housing, it's one that was in a big ford car and was originally set up for cool springs. The housing looks like its pretty thick. Anyway, thanks for the input guys!
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put the truss over the top on my 9". I did not really give much thought to the back. It would of interfered with my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.