Ford 8.8 swap pricing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 swap pricing

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Jeepyj311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 swap pricing

Hey guys. I pulled a ford 8.8 off a bronco at the junk yard. I have bought 4.56 gears for my 8.8 and a Detroit locker. I bought the u-joint flange to make my driveshaft work and the correct spring perches and such. My question is since I have all the parts any idea what shops would charge to get the ford 8.8 set up with gearing and installed under my jeep? I know each shop is different and such but for ppl who paid to have it done... Around what did y'all pay to get it done? Thank y'all so much for the input. Also, I am about to buy 35x12.50 Ltb's Should I run them on my Dana 35 till it breaks or should I go ahead and do the swap. I beat the Dana 35 to heck and back with 33's and its still hanging in there.

Jeepyj311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good question, I'm in the exact same situation with explorer 8.8. Never even thought of getting a quote from the shop. I would imagine labor cost over 1k. My plan is to dedicate entire weekend with a couple of buddies and get it done at the house. Depending on what a shop would charge, I would consider having them do it if doing yourself not an option.

I say rock 35s on D35 for now. You'll probably be fine
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i dont have a price but were did you find a bronco with a 8.8? a bronco would have full width axles most likely a 9 inch.
kingcat400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any reason you went with a Bronco 8.8 over one from an Explorer? I could be wrong here, but it was my understanding that the Bronco 8.8s were much wider than stock Jeep axles, and had 5x5.5 bolt patterns instead of 5x4.5s. Unless you are going full width and changing your bolt pattern up front as well, you may run into an issue.

As far as pricing goes, its extremely difficult to predict. Are you looking for a shop to do a complete setup of the 8.8 (regear, welding of the perches and spring plates, etc), or just do a simple regear? I know most shops charge less labor if the rearend is out of the vehicle, and I have been quoted around $200 labor for a regear (I supply all parts, rearend out of the Jeep). Now, if you are wanting them to do everything, and I mean you basically drop off the 8.8 and Jeep and have them do ALL of the work, then you are looking at anywhere from $400-1000. You also have to consider the condition of the 8.8, and whether it will need new rotors, pads, etc. I've done a few 8.8s for YJs, and currently getting ready to do another, and you never know how much you will have to spend on one until you start doing the work. Some need very little, while others require brake components, new shaft bearings and seals, new brake lines, wheel studs, you never know. I know if I had to charge someone to set up an 8.8, and this doesn't include gearing, there is no way I would do it for under $300-400. There's a decent amount of time invested just in getting the 8.8 ready to set up for a Jeep, from cutting off all the spring plates/perches and extra mounts, to getting the axle tubes cleaned up and ready for welding.

Also, you haven't mentioned what you are doing for a lift, and what you plan on doing about your rear driveshaft angle. You will almost certainly need to do a SYE, which does make a difference in how the 8.8 is set up.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know 100%, but r u sure it is not a 28 spline??? Not that up on Bronco's. Is it a Bronco II?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Measure your 8.8, does it measure to ~60"? If not, you got the full width one. Almost made that mistake myself trying to get one from f-150.. Late 90s explorer with disk brakes is the way to go.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Full width 8.8's were under the late model broncos and F-150's up to at least 1996. They are not even close to being as stron as the explorer axles and are not desirable due to the bolt pattern being closer to a CJ than a Yj.
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are the gears and locker OP bought interchangeable between bronco and explorer 8.8 rear ends?
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepyj311 View Post
Hey guys. I pulled a ford 8.8 off a bronco at the junk yard. I have bought 4.56 gears for my 8.8 and a Detroit locker. I bought the u-joint flange to make my driveshaft work and the correct spring perches and such. My question is since I have all the parts any idea what shops would charge to get the ford 8.8 set up with gearing and installed under my jeep? I know each shop is different and such but for ppl who paid to have it done... Around what did y'all pay to get it done? Thank y'all so much for the input. Also, I am about to buy 35x12.50 Ltb's Should I run them on my Dana 35 till it breaks or should I go ahead and do the swap. I beat the Dana 35 to heck and back with 33's and its still hanging in there.

Measure that 8.8 AND the bolt pattern. I doubt you have the right one. I hope you gears and locker work in an explorer 8.8. Good luck but you might have just paid the stupid tax. (joking of course)
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Jeepyj311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I am so sorry...My 8.8 came out of a ford explorer NOT bronco. I have no idea why I typed that other than just not thinking straight. I pulled the 8.8 out of the explorer about a year ago thinking when I broke my dana 35 I would then do the swap but never broke my dana 35. I just have factory gears with a factory limited slip in it now and live in centeral Louisiana so there are not many hills or rocks. I many run it in my hunting club forging new trails, hog hunting, crossing slu's. But I now want to go to 35's so was thinking it may be a good time to do the swap. I do not know how to weld. I wish I did and I don't have a shop to do re-gearing in ( scared of dust and such just working on the ground). So I was curious about an out the door price for a swap to do everything with me suppling all the parts. I did notice a power loss going to the 33's with factory gearing but I just put my jeep in 4wd lo and run thru my hunting club in 1st or 2nd gear and it does good so I was thinking I could do the same thing with 35's if I kept the dana 35 a little longer. I was also thinking of going to an aluminum wheel instead of my steel wheels to get rid of a little weight.
Jeepyj311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My suggestion would be to call around and ask. Setting up gears is pretty specialized so perhaps someone in the local 4 wheel drive club could point you in a better direction.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.