ford 8.8 swap in my 90 yj first time swap helpp!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ford 8.8 swap in my 90 yj first time swap helpp!!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
LIjeep631
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ford 8.8 swap in my 90 yj first time swap helpp!!

just picked up a ford 8.8 rear for 200 $!! 4.10s lsd disc brakes with almost new pads and rotors..... i ordered this swap kit

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/88SS-31.html

the basic kit from ruffstuff

the only things im worried about is my drive shaft my trucks lifted 4 inches sua
and so far ive had no need for a sye and cv will i need one one now ??
and how do you go about mating the stock u joint with the new yolk ??
this will be my first swap so i could use all the tips i can get thanks guys

LIjeep631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you dont NEED an sye kit
there is a flange for the yoke on the 8.8 that excepts your ds ujoint
do a google search for it, its like 20bux
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
you dont NEED an sye kit
there is a flange for the yoke on the 8.8 that excepts your ds ujoint
do a google search for it, its like 20bux
For 4"? Unless he's a mall queen, he's gonna need an SYE. That slip yoke will pop right out pouring ATF everywhere. I have a 1.5" suspension lift and my yoke is 1-2" further than stock.

My $.02
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have 5" of lift wheel the piss out of it and no sye. And iv still got quite a bit left in there. ill be doing the 8.8 swap soon also so if I do need one I guess ill find out the hard way.

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if you dont do a SYE now and end up wanting to do one later you're going to have to grind off your perches and reset your pinion angle.

you might as well do it right the first time

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
buckedgabers1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Keep running with out a sye and u will break the tail shaft of the tcase I ran 5" lift no sye for 3 years then snap new t case Vegas is right do it right the first time or it will cost double in the end
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
if you dont do a SYE now and end up wanting to do one later you're going to have to grind off your perches and reset your pinion angle.

you might as well do it right the first time

It's funny that a lot of us speak these words with experience of the contrary. I can tell you that experience has taught me to look st the entire build and not just the nickle and dime upgrades. It costs money to redo something and it doesn't make you feel very smart either...
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. Take the time to step back and think of where you want the build to go. Look at the long term instead of fretting over dimes and nickles. If you cheap out and do the quick cheap fix and brake something youll end up spending more to fix your earlier decision. I did a SOA swap and did not get a cv joint when i first had drivelines rebuilt..i ended up having to pay more to get the driveshafts rebuild to accept a cv....major PITA
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
It's funny that a lot of us speak these words with experience of the contrary. I can tell you that experience has taught me to look st the entire build and not just the nickle and dime upgrades. It costs money to redo something and it doesn't make you feel very smart either...
I think we're all guilty of, at one point or another, muttering the phrase, "It's good enough". It almost never is, and you always regret saying it.

Experience has shown me that it's better to wait an extra few weeks to get more money to do it right, rather than jumping the gun and having to fix it and spending more money than the difference in the parts you wanted.

Not to say you always have to pay big bucks, but make sure you have what you need, and just research it.

My
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckedgabers1 View Post
Keep running with out a sye and u will break the tail shaft of the tcase I ran 5" lift no sye for 3 years then snap new t case Vegas is right do it right the first time or it will cost double in the end
I don't have the cash. And it would be a waste of it anyhow. I'm doing a V8 auto trans swap hopefully before thanks giving (jeep will be paid off in Oct ) and its only been like that sence chfistmass so I'm good on the three year deadline?

Sorry bro didn't mean to heist your thread.

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
LIjeep631
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ive heard that you can have a xj front shaft with the cv shortened to match whatever length id need...? have any of you done that ? ....... my truck has a 4 inch rc lift and a 2 inch tcase drop the shaft angle isnt bad atall... my boss said its just shy of a stock angle ... also my shaft sits only about 3/4 of an inch out of the tcase .... i know that i should do the sye but this is my daily and i cant have it out for too long being that the process is allready started... the sye will be done asap but it cant be done at the moment... college student... funds are scarce...... i have been wheeling the truck pretty hard as is.. rausch creek offroad park on black trails and no problems with the shaft popping out
LIjeep631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIjeep631 View Post
ive heard that you can have a xj front shaft with the cv shortened to match whatever length id need...? have any of you done that ? ....... my truck has a 4 inch rc lift and a 2 inch tcase drop the shaft angle isnt bad atall... my boss said its just shy of a stock angle ... also my shaft sits only about 3/4 of an inch out of the tcase .... i know that i should do the sye but this is my daily and i cant have it out for too long being that the process is allready started... the sye will be done asap but it cant be done at the moment... college student... funds are scarce...... i have been wheeling the truck pretty hard as is.. rausch creek offroad park on black trails and no problems with the shaft popping out
Anticanman runs the XJ front shaft, and when I do my SYE install, I will as well.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I run an shortened XJ front shaft for my rear cv as well it works great and they are plentiful at J yards.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I also use a cut down XJ shaft.

When you're ready to do the SYE, pull the t-case drop, and measure after the SYE is in and have the shaft cut.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you need the flange, I got mine @ Denny's for about 28. It's the large one, the smaller one is for the mustang 8.8s.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.