JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   ford 8.8 swap in my 90 yj first time swap helpp!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ford-8-8-swap-my-90-yj-first-time-swap-helpp-1358294/)

LIjeep631 04-18-2012 12:02 PM

ford 8.8 swap in my 90 yj first time swap helpp!!

just picked up a ford 8.8 rear for 200 $!! 4.10s lsd disc brakes with almost new pads and rotors..... i ordered this swap kit

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/88SS-31.html

the basic kit from ruffstuff

the only things im worried about is my drive shaft my trucks lifted 4 inches sua
and so far ive had no need for a sye and cv will i need one one now ??
and how do you go about mating the stock u joint with the new yolk ??
this will be my first swap so i could use all the tips i can get thanks guys

stump1 04-18-2012 01:45 PM

you dont NEED an sye kit
there is a flange for the yoke on the 8.8 that excepts your ds ujoint
do a google search for it, its like 20bux

idskot 04-18-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stump1 (Post 13431143)
you dont NEED an sye kit
there is a flange for the yoke on the 8.8 that excepts your ds ujoint
do a google search for it, its like 20bux

For 4"? Unless he's a mall queen, he's gonna need an SYE. That slip yoke will pop right out pouring ATF everywhere. I have a 1.5" suspension lift and my yoke is 1-2" further than stock.

My $.02

ruthole 04-18-2012 02:27 PM

I have 5" of lift wheel the piss out of it and no sye. And iv still got quite a bit left in there. :dunno: ill be doing the 8.8 swap soon also so if I do need one I guess ill find out the hard way.

'92 vegas YJ 04-18-2012 03:01 PM

if you dont do a SYE now and end up wanting to do one later you're going to have to grind off your perches and reset your pinion angle.

you might as well do it right the first time

buckedgabers1 04-18-2012 06:57 PM

Keep running with out a sye and u will break the tail shaft of the tcase I ran 5" lift no sye for 3 years then snap new t case Vegas is right do it right the first time or it will cost double in the end

Anticanman 04-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ (Post 13431566)
if you dont do a SYE now and end up wanting to do one later you're going to have to grind off your perches and reset your pinion angle.

you might as well do it right the first time

It's funny that a lot of us speak these words with experience of the contrary. I can tell you that experience has taught me to look st the entire build and not just the nickle and dime upgrades. It costs money to redo something and it doesn't make you feel very smart either...

wickedoffroad 04-18-2012 07:28 PM

I agree. Take the time to step back and think of where you want the build to go. Look at the long term instead of fretting over dimes and nickles. If you cheap out and do the quick cheap fix and brake something youll end up spending more to fix your earlier decision. I did a SOA swap and did not get a cv joint when i first had drivelines rebuilt..i ended up having to pay more to get the driveshafts rebuild to accept a cv....major PITA

idskot 04-18-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 13432864)
It's funny that a lot of us speak these words with experience of the contrary. I can tell you that experience has taught me to look st the entire build and not just the nickle and dime upgrades. It costs money to redo something and it doesn't make you feel very smart either...

I think we're all guilty of, at one point or another, muttering the phrase, "It's good enough". It almost never is, and you always regret saying it.

Experience has shown me that it's better to wait an extra few weeks to get more money to do it right, rather than jumping the gun and having to fix it and spending more money than the difference in the parts you wanted.

Not to say you always have to pay big bucks, but make sure you have what you need, and just research it.

My :2c:

ruthole 04-18-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckedgabers1 (Post 13432770)
Keep running with out a sye and u will break the tail shaft of the tcase I ran 5" lift no sye for 3 years then snap new t case Vegas is right do it right the first time or it will cost double in the end

I don't have the cash. And it would be a waste of it anyhow. I'm doing a V8 auto trans swap hopefully before thanks giving (jeep will be paid off in Oct :highfive:) and its only been like that sence chfistmass so I'm good on the three year deadline? :dunno:

Sorry bro didn't mean to heist your thread.

LIjeep631 04-18-2012 10:03 PM

ive heard that you can have a xj front shaft with the cv shortened to match whatever length id need...? have any of you done that ? ....... my truck has a 4 inch rc lift and a 2 inch tcase drop the shaft angle isnt bad atall... my boss said its just shy of a stock angle ... also my shaft sits only about 3/4 of an inch out of the tcase .... i know that i should do the sye but this is my daily and i cant have it out for too long being that the process is allready started... the sye will be done asap but it cant be done at the moment... college student... funds are scarce...... i have been wheeling the truck pretty hard as is.. rausch creek offroad park on black trails and no problems with the shaft popping out

idskot 04-18-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIjeep631 (Post 13433939)
ive heard that you can have a xj front shaft with the cv shortened to match whatever length id need...? have any of you done that ? ....... my truck has a 4 inch rc lift and a 2 inch tcase drop the shaft angle isnt bad atall... my boss said its just shy of a stock angle ... also my shaft sits only about 3/4 of an inch out of the tcase .... i know that i should do the sye but this is my daily and i cant have it out for too long being that the process is allready started... the sye will be done asap but it cant be done at the moment... college student... funds are scarce...... i have been wheeling the truck pretty hard as is.. rausch creek offroad park on black trails and no problems with the shaft popping out

Anticanman runs the XJ front shaft, and when I do my SYE install, I will as well.

skyj 04-18-2012 10:37 PM

I run an shortened XJ front shaft for my rear cv as well it works great and they are plentiful at J yards.

timatoe 04-18-2012 10:43 PM

I also use a cut down XJ shaft.

When you're ready to do the SYE, pull the t-case drop, and measure after the SYE is in and have the shaft cut.

lutzke21 04-18-2012 10:46 PM

If you need the flange, I got mine @ Denny's for about 28. It's the large one, the smaller one is for the mustang 8.8s.

The time now is 11:50 PM.