Ford 8.8 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 questions

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 questions

Hey I'm looking in my local junk yards for a Ford 8.8 and found a 2000. They are not sure on the gearing yet there going to Pull the codes for me today. But they said they would sell it for 300$. Does that seam right to u guys? And were do I get the new mounts to weld on? Track bar.. shock and leaf mounts? And just double checking.. this will b a 5x4 1/2 lug pattern right? Thats the reason I'm goin with the 8.8 cuz I doNT want to have to buy new wheels.. thanks JK!

yjJEEPyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ment to say thanks JF!!
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

First, make sure it's from an explorer. Ford used the 8.8 in numerous other applications and they are not all the same; everything from mustangs, to trucks, to crown vics, to Explorer sport-trak (based on a ranger pickup base and not the same) and others.

If it's from an an explorer or mercury mountaineer it will have 31 spline axle shafts, be the right bolt pattern and the right width.

$300 is about right.

lot's of good info here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks! and yea it's in a 2000 explorer. does the engine matter? does the axle vary between a v6 and v8?
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjJEEPyj View Post
ok thanks! and yea it's in a 2000 explorer. does the engine matter? does the axle vary between a v6 and v8?
no. I have heard lots of junkyards charging extra for ones they claim are from a v8 but those people are crooks. there is no difference. if they try to pull that ask them to explain and show you the differences; it will be good entertainment.
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

lol alright sounds good! oh and if i get a 8.8 i'll prob b redoing my gearing.. any rcomendations? i was thinking 4:10.. do alot of pavement driving. but still alot of off roading. i have 35x12.50 tires 4" lift. v6 auto
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I run 4.10's and it is a reasonable mix between offroad and onroad driving with 35's. Mine is a manual so the tranny gears are going to be a bit different, so other auto owners may have different ideas for you.
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

4.10's are available in the axles as stock, so if that's the ratio you want, get one that has it already. I'm hoping to order mine next week. I've been watching their prices for a few months and they've come down to ~$200 locally WITH 4.10's. They were (and still are from some places) $300+, so if it's in good shape you've got a fair deal.

As for brackets and tabs, your local 4x4 shop should be able to supply them for you. My local guys are about $7 per shock tab (need 4 per axle) and $15-20 per spring mount (need 2). Be aware that the axle tubes are bigger on the 8.8 and will drop the back end of the Jeep 5/8". To maintain the same height, you should look at buying longer shackles.

Also, please read all you can on mounting the 8.8. Specific attention must be made to the pinion angle. If you're not running a SYE, you will need to measure your driveline and match the transfer output to the pinion angles, or you'll get vibrations. If you have a slip-yolk eliminator, you just point the pinion directly at the transfer case output.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
v6 auto
lawlz V6 (engine swap?)

300 sounds about right for the 8.8, in my area they sell for about that at the junkyards and on CL.

hardly any of them have 4.10s though.

and yes, they guy who mentioned that some junkyards will charge more for V8 axles is correct. i've called a couple guys out on it and they couldn't counteract that with proof, just like the car dealers... i had enough time to screw with them but not enough money to buy.

yes i was that bored...

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha alright cool. and yea even if it doesnt have 4;10 i think im gona put new gearing in anyways.

PS. i like your sig!
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
anarchychoppers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in Austin and have seen them go for $150 to $300. I just picked up one out of a 1994 so it has drum brakes for $60 and it is the limited slip. They had one that had disc brakes it was $125 but no locker. Also look on craigslist, I have seen people sale them on there for $150
1990 Larado, 258 CID, TF999, MC-2100, CRT HEI, 2" body lift, RS44044 front and back flipped for 98 wheel base, 1" booms, teraflex SYE, DIY Rock Sliders, rear bumper, and fenders, 35 MTR's and one crazy nut behind the wheel.
anarchychoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are planning to go with 4:10 gears then wait until you find one with those already. There is no reason to spend several hundred on regearing just because you're impatient.
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And were do I get the new mounts to weld on? Track bar.. shock and leaf mounts?
Is there any reason you want/need a track bar? Most guys junk them.

Shocks can be located/welded just about anywhere on the tube in line with the upper mounts. However, if you do move them up, keep in mind this will lessen your shock size/travel.

Leaf perchs' need to be relocated/welded. 8.8 is 1.250" overall shorter than turdy 5. Move new perch's outboard 9/16" each side and you're good to go. Set pinion accordingly.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
yjJEEPyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

rockWorm i noticed u have a detroit in the rear? how do u like that? i'v been thinking about one of thoes after i get my axle. do u do much pavement/interstate driving?
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchychoppers View Post
I just picked up one out of a 1994 so it has drum brakes for $60 and it is the limited slip. They had one that had disc brakes it was $125 but no locker.
Just for the record, a limited slip is NOT a locker (Please refer to sig). Nothing wrong with the drum brakes though Discs are great but certainly not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.