Ford 8.8 and other Questions.. I know, it's been asked before. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 and other Questions.. I know, it's been asked before.

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
denwagh

Ford 8.8 and other Questions.. I know, it's been asked before.

I'm sure this is buried someplace on the forum but after several searches I couldn't find what I'm looking for so I invoke the gurus once more....

I've got a 93 YJ. I want to do an 8.8. I know that the shock mounts have to be re-welded.. So.. I have a few questions...

1) Other then remounting the shock mounts, what else needs to be done? Can I re-use the old shock mounts or do they make after market?

2) Do I need to look for a certain 8.8 that the stock drive shaft will fit or is it the same spline?

3) Gears.. I cannot see a plate on my front or rear diff covers to tell me what I have.. I've read the faq, but I want to be certain.. Is there another way, counting the teeth perhaps?

4) Disk vs Drum.. I've heard of people not getting good stopping power with disk using the stock Jeep braking system.. Anyone have experience?

5) I'm guessing the wheel bolt pattern is the same as stock jeep?

6) Any other "Gotcha's" I should watch for?

Thanks guy, you are always a great help.. Without this forum I'd probably still be under my Jeep trying to figure out how to replace a clutch..

denwagh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The very first consideration is whether you are going to be SUA, SOA, or linked. This makes a big difference on how I feel or recommend it be set-up.

I can answer all your questions, but instead of giving two or three different answers for some of your questions due to not knowing axle placement I'd rather not type three or four versions.
Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...17&postcount=5
And this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=6
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

I knew Dillard would preempt me. LOL
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
denwagh

I will probably stick with SUA on this rig.. It's my daily on 33's with a tiny body like and a Superlift spring kit.. I like the height and other then mud, don't do any climbing in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
The very first consideration is whether you are going to be SUA, SOA, or linked. This makes a big difference on how I feel or recommend it be set-up.

I can answer all your questions, but instead of giving two or three different answers for some of your questions due to not knowing axle placement I'd rather not type three or four versions.
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
denwagh

Thanks! .....

Unread 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
ZickZJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwagh
I'm sure this is buried someplace on the forum but after several searches I couldn't find what I'm looking for so I invoke the gurus once more....

I've got a 93 YJ. I want to do an 8.8. I know that the shock mounts have to be re-welded.. So.. I have a few questions...

1) Other then remounting the shock mounts, what else needs to be done? Can I re-use the old shock mounts or do they make after market? I'm sure if you could make the stock mounts work if you don't destroy them during the removal process. Or just pickup a new set for about $20.

2) Do I need to look for a certain 8.8 that the stock drive shaft will fit or is it the same spline? All 8.8s have a flange adapter with a U-Joint adapter bolted to it. Whether or not your U-Joint fits this adapter is a different story. Mine did but others had to buy a new U-Joint. Also your driveshaft length may not work depending on your setup.

3) Gears.. I cannot see a plate on my front or rear diff covers to tell me what I have.. I've read the faq, but I want to be certain.. Is there another way, counting the teeth perhaps? Marking the driveshaft and tire and then spinning the tire to see how many turns it take to make the driveshaft spin around once. I'm sure there's better explanations out there for this than mine.

4) Disk vs Drum.. I've heard of people not getting good stopping power with disk using the stock Jeep braking system.. Anyone have experience? Mine has disc's and the entire brake system is still stock and I'd say it stops just the same as the old drums, maybe even a little better.

5) I'm guessing the wheel bolt pattern is the same as stock jeep? Yes

6) Any other "Gotcha's" I should watch for? Brake lines, how your going to connect them to your current setup. Mine I just bought two passenger side rubber lines that go into the calipers and them made up some hard line to connect to the drop down line coming from the frame.
Also emergency brake lines too if you plan on using it.

Thanks guy, you are always a great help.. Without this forum I'd probably still be under my Jeep trying to figure out how to replace a clutch..

This message is not too short.

97' ZJ, SOLD
ZickZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.