JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Ford 8.8 and other Questions.. I know, it's been asked before. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ford-8-8-other-questions-i-know-its-been-asked-before-439609/)

denwagh 07-19-2007 11:13 AM

Ford 8.8 and other Questions.. I know, it's been asked before.

I'm sure this is buried someplace on the forum but after several searches I couldn't find what I'm looking for so I invoke the gurus once more.... ;)

I've got a 93 YJ. I want to do an 8.8. I know that the shock mounts have to be re-welded.. So.. I have a few questions...

1) Other then remounting the shock mounts, what else needs to be done? Can I re-use the old shock mounts or do they make after market?

2) Do I need to look for a certain 8.8 that the stock drive shaft will fit or is it the same spline?

3) Gears.. I cannot see a plate on my front or rear diff covers to tell me what I have.. I've read the faq, but I want to be certain.. Is there another way, counting the teeth perhaps?

4) Disk vs Drum.. I've heard of people not getting good stopping power with disk using the stock Jeep braking system.. Anyone have experience?

5) I'm guessing the wheel bolt pattern is the same as stock jeep?

6) Any other "Gotcha's" I should watch for?

Thanks guy, you are always a great help.. Without this forum I'd probably still be under my Jeep trying to figure out how to replace a clutch.. ;)

Joe Dillard 07-19-2007 11:27 AM

The very first consideration is whether you are going to be SUA, SOA, or linked. This makes a big difference on how I feel or recommend it be set-up.

I can answer all your questions, but instead of giving two or three different answers for some of your questions due to not knowing axle placement I'd rather not type three or four versions. :)

atomicmoose 07-19-2007 11:28 AM

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...17&postcount=5
And this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=6

atomicmoose 07-19-2007 11:29 AM

I knew Dillard would preempt me. LOL :rofl: :thumbsup:

denwagh 07-19-2007 12:25 PM

I will probably stick with SUA on this rig.. It's my daily on 33's with a tiny body like and a Superlift spring kit.. I like the height and other then mud, don't do any climbing in it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
The very first consideration is whether you are going to be SUA, SOA, or linked. This makes a big difference on how I feel or recommend it be set-up.

I can answer all your questions, but instead of giving two or three different answers for some of your questions due to not knowing axle placement I'd rather not type three or four versions. :)

denwagh 07-19-2007 12:28 PM

Thanks! .....

ZickZJ 07-20-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denwagh
I'm sure this is buried someplace on the forum but after several searches I couldn't find what I'm looking for so I invoke the gurus once more.... ;)

I've got a 93 YJ. I want to do an 8.8. I know that the shock mounts have to be re-welded.. So.. I have a few questions...

1) Other then remounting the shock mounts, what else needs to be done? Can I re-use the old shock mounts or do they make after market? I'm sure if you could make the stock mounts work if you don't destroy them during the removal process. Or just pickup a new set for about $20.

2) Do I need to look for a certain 8.8 that the stock drive shaft will fit or is it the same spline? All 8.8s have a flange adapter with a U-Joint adapter bolted to it. Whether or not your U-Joint fits this adapter is a different story. Mine did but others had to buy a new U-Joint. Also your driveshaft length may not work depending on your setup.

3) Gears.. I cannot see a plate on my front or rear diff covers to tell me what I have.. I've read the faq, but I want to be certain.. Is there another way, counting the teeth perhaps? Marking the driveshaft and tire and then spinning the tire to see how many turns it take to make the driveshaft spin around once. I'm sure there's better explanations out there for this than mine.

4) Disk vs Drum.. I've heard of people not getting good stopping power with disk using the stock Jeep braking system.. Anyone have experience? Mine has disc's and the entire brake system is still stock and I'd say it stops just the same as the old drums, maybe even a little better.

5) I'm guessing the wheel bolt pattern is the same as stock jeep? Yes

6) Any other "Gotcha's" I should watch for? Brake lines, how your going to connect them to your current setup. Mine I just bought two passenger side rubber lines that go into the calipers and them made up some hard line to connect to the drop down line coming from the frame.
Also emergency brake lines too if you plan on using it.

Thanks guy, you are always a great help.. Without this forum I'd probably still be under my Jeep trying to figure out how to replace a clutch.. ;)

This message is not too short. :brickwall

The time now is 06:11 PM.